Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why did my AutoCPAP 90% pressure increase from baseline?
RE: Why did my AutoCPAP 90% pressure increase from baseline?
It may be allergies.  Allergies can cause nasal congestion, and nasal congestion is just another flow restriction that will cause an autoset machine to increase the pressure.  And if you're on a fixed pressure, it'll mean that it becomes harder for you to breath.

Dust mites live anywhere that human dust gathers, including in filters.  They consume the material in dust and excrete proteins that some people are allergic to.  The proteins are very small, and usually pass through most filters after a period of time, even if the filters are labelled as hypo-allergenic.

I'm allergic to dust mites and often find that I have to change my furnace filters every month or so.  I know that its time when my nose gets plugged up every time the furnace kicks on.  

Based upon your statements, I'd guess the filter in your CPAP may be having the same issue.  I'd suggest that you try cleaning and/or replacing the filters on your machine more often.  You should probably also consult an allergist.  If you're allergic, the allergist might recommend allergy shots, or a non-sedating OTC antihistamine (like Allegra), or an OTC nasal steroid. You should also talk to your sleep doctor and see what he/she says. They'll probably recommend an OTC nasal steroid.  

I prefer changing filters to using drugs myself, and so I just change the filters more often than recommended to avoid any issues.

Also, if your machine is on a hard floor, make sure that the area around it is clean and free of dust.  If it's on carpet, put a clean towel down between the carpet and the CPAP machine.  Even the cleanest of carpet is full of dust mites.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never seen a chart with such consistent VS scores all night, no leaks and few events.  I suspect something is wrong, especially if you don't hear or perceive any vibration or sound in the circuit.  Since this is likely a new machine, I would ask your supplier to check it out. Lots of missing information here. Please try to include the statistics from the left column and flow rate graph.

[Image: K5Lkif0.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to go off here in another direction.

I don't think it's filters. I think your min pressure is too low.

A VS2 is just a vibration the machine picks up
It could be a near snore vibration or it could be dragging your hose over the head board.
VS is an audible snore that machine reacts too.

It's probable your min is too low and the snore data is valid.

The closer your min pressure is too an effective pressure the lower your max pressure will rise because there are less events and the machine isn't playing catch up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2017, 09:00 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I'm going to go off here in another direction.

I don't think it's filters.  I think your min pressure is too low.

It could be a near snore vibration or it could be dragging your hose over the head board.

The closer your min pressure is too an effective pressure the lower your max pressure will rise because there are less events and the machine isn't playing catch up.

Ghost1958's explanation is also possible given your statement that removing the filters helps.  Removing the filters will increase the delivered pressure above what the machine displays.  You can confirm or rule out his hypothesis by increasing the minimum pressure.  If increasing the minimum pressure works, then he's right.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2017, 12:20 AM)Reznik Wrote:
(11-24-2017, 09:00 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I'm going to go off here in another direction.

I don't think it's filters.  I think your min pressure is too low.

Ghost1958's explanation is also possible given your statement that removing the filters helps.  Removing the filters will increase the delivered pressure above what the machine displays.  You can confirm or rule out his hypothesis by increasing the minimum pressure.  If increasing the minimum pressure works, then he's right.

Pressure is pressure.  Show me a reference that suggests a filter is necessary to maintain proper XPAP pressure calibration.  There is pressure drop across any filter, but that is not where the therapy pressure is measured.  I'm not certain, but I think we are measuring a differential pressure from ambient, to the delivery side (hose) of the CPAP. Removing filters simply means less protection for the fan and potential pass-through to the user. If you are aware of more details on pressure sensing, let me know.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From my bad (filter) experience, there wasn't a problem with pressure building up, the pressure couldn't be released and was giving me TOO much pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got some AYR gel to help with nighttime stuffiness.

But I'm back at thinking it is a filter issue. This morning I did an experiment. I set the pressure at 16 cm and took the hose off the mask. I then felt the pressure/flow at the end of the hose with my thumb:

No filters - high flow
Larger filter and current disposable - much lower flow
Larger filter only - high flow but not as high as no filters
Larger filter and NEW disposable - high flow but not as high as no filters

I also did this at 6 cm and had the same results. (very little flow with current disposable)

Is it possible my filters only last a shorter time compared to others? I don't think the air quality is bad where I live, but people are burning leaves. The machine is on a small cart next to my bed (ie not on the hardwood floor)

Here is another night:
htt ps://imgur.com/a/lWMD1

The first 6 are different screen shots of the same night (zoomed/unzoomed) and the last is a good night.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 05:17 PM)Hojo Wrote: From my bad (filter) experience, there wasn't a problem with pressure building up, the pressure couldn't be released and was giving me TOO much pressure.

The issue is when I exhale, the whole mask inflates as if my breathe has no where to go.  Is this what you had?  If so, did you just replace the filters more often or use it w/o the disposable filter?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 05:34 PM)cchild2 Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 05:17 PM)Hojo Wrote: From my bad (filter) experience, there wasn't a problem with pressure building up, the pressure couldn't be released and was giving me TOO much pressure.

The issue is when I exhale, the whole mask inflates as if my breathe has no where to go.  Is this what you had?  If so, did you just replace the filters more often or use it w/o the disposable filter?

I had a standard (screen) filter that came with the unit and it worked fine, then I put in a Hypoallergenic filter and it took me over a week to figure out what was wrong.  Air was being sucked in and but the air couldn't escape back out so the machine wouldn't let me exhale.  It sounded and looked like, I was panting like a dog, I was scared to death.

My respiratory rate was like 50 and then I experimented with putting the mask on, turned the machine on, then held my breath.  Within seconds the machine was pulsing air in me and it looked like I was panting but I was actually holding my breath (on purpose).  I took the hypoallergenic filter out, put the regular filter back in, wham, back to normal.  I then put the hypoallergenic filter back in but left the door open and turned the machine on; the filter was almost sucked in because the amount of air passing through the filter to be delivered to me was too little.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2017, 05:34 PM)cchild2 Wrote:

That also could be a faulty machine.  

But, just to clarify, the machine will not relieve the pressure (unless you have EPR enabled).  What it will do is reduce the force of the air being shoved at you, so as to prevent the pressure from increasing as you breath out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,261 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 431 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 405 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,211 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.