Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal?
Question 
Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal?
Last night was the first night I used the humidifier with the AS 10.  Surprised that the entire chamber must be removed from the unit simply in order add distilled water.  WTF?  ResMed could have made part of the top with a rear hinge, similar to the S9.  Just flip the lid and fill. But the chamber can also be removed for cleaning. Would rather have easy filling even if the chamber protruded more.

Has anyone here modified their chamber for easier/more convenient filling? Oh-jeez

What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal?
Knowing humans like we all do, they'd probably be apt to spilling water all over the unit itself. 

When it comes to the human race, it's not wise to make things too easy or convenient.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why didn't ResMed construct the humidifier so it can be filled without removal?
No concern here.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:30 PM)staceyburke Wrote: No concern here.

No concern about what? You’re not concerned about removing the humidifier every day or you’re not concerned about spilling water on the AS10 ?
Post Reply Post Reply
For me I wake up in the morning and take the humidifier with me to the bathroom.  After I brush my teeth I rinse it out and put water in it for the next night.  No big deal, does not bother or concern me at all.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Because some people don't want to use the humidifier at all. In such cases you can remove the humidifier and replace it with an "end cover" . This way you also reduce the size of the machine by about half.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the AS10 It reduces the size by approximately  2 inches.  That's not even close to being about half. Big Grin

Personally I think having to take the humidifier out of the machine is a good idea as water can completely destroy electronic components very quickly if they are powered on while wet.  I would not be surprised if earlier devices that allowed you to fill the humidifier while it was still attached had significant numbers of warranty claims on water-damaged machines.

For an example of the effect of distilled water on electronics: https://youtu.be/qGbQ2FPDqkw?t=196

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
Forcing you to take out the humidifier tank appears to be the “normal” design these days.  I assume they don’t want you spilling water into the electrified heating element (which I’m sure is quite harmless too even if you do).

Even the old S9, with its simple lid cover for the tank, in their newer replacement tanks, they tell you to remove the tank before filling with water.

I’m sure this prevents warranty and future litigation issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't clean a humidifier tank without separating it from the machine. Forcing you to separate the tank increases the chance you will actually clean the tank, which the CPAP manufacturers specify should be done daily.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I believe you, but I was specifically talking about newer models like my Aircurve10 ASV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 251 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 330 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation Wisdom tooth removal causes sleep apnea? esaulcatnas 0 336 12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.