Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why didnt my machine respond?
Why didnt my machine respond?
Hi

I have been getting some good overnight  AHI readings  but my pressure usually sits between 18 to 20 cmw.

But last night I sat at a low pressure for hours and had clusters of events. Either I or the machine failed to respond Oh-jeez 

Was I lying on my back?

Just curious , any ideas?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why didnt my machine respond?
G'day Wesozzz.

I think the machine is in fact responding. But it doesn't respond to the FR20 and FR50 events as these are an artefact of Oscar, not something the machine has reported. It also doesn't respond to central apneas, and it responds to obstructive events after the event is finished to prevent another one occurring (it doesn't have enough pressure to force an obstructed airway open).

So looking at the first part of the night you had a couple of obstructive apneas and hypopneas and a shedload of flow limitations. The machine has responded by taking the pressure right up to the maximum.

The second session is more complicated. Little or no flow limitations before 03:50. However you had a central apnea and obstructive apnea around 03:00, followed immediately by a period of Cheyne Stokes Respiration. The machine would have ignored the central and raised pressure slightly for the obstructive. But as soon as it sees the CSR it will hold the pressure steady again until the CSR is finished and you get another obstructive apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help to zoom in on the events from 03:00 to 03:15. We really don't know what is going on there. Although it is labeled CSR (more likely periodic breathing), the flow rate does not appear to fluctuate much, and events are mainly obstructive. It's interestng that there was almost no flow limitation. I have no idea what FR events are.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The FR events are custom events set up in OSCAR'S preferences. They were renamed. I assume they represent 20 and 50 % Flow Reduction for a specified time. Would need to see the setup to be sure. These are unknown to the CPAP so it wouldn't respond to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I set up the FR events as per wiki, FR20 and FR50 are Flow limitations 20% and 50% respectively.

Also attached is a blow up around 3 to 3.15 am.
I see my tidal volume  seems to be ok except for an occasional  drop so I guess I was getting enough O2, which is a most important  part of cpap.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I put up my low pressure slightly so there was not a lot between low and what the machine goes to.
Perhaps putting up your low pressure more towards what your machine sits at most of the time will help.
Maybe not the max, but take a high average of what the machine goes to and set it slightly below that and see what happens.

I suddenly had higher readings than I have ever had, I adjusted the low pressure slightly towards the high and I am back to low readings.
Not saying it will help with you, but it is well worth a try. It is also more comfortable if the low pressure is closer to the high, though in your case at 20 you will have to make a compromise. I used to be at 18, but since I got this machine (like yours) I am now at 13, it just went up slightly to 13.6 and so did my results. A slight shift in low pressure cleared my higher readings.
See my thread 5.0 to 0.1 & 0.0 in one step!
It is always worth a try, you can go back to where you were.
A collar may help you or a good chin strap or both and trying to stay off your back will help a lot.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2019, 11:23 PM)wesozzzz Wrote: I set up the FR events as per wiki, FR20 and FR50 are Flow limitations 20% and 50% respectively.

Also attached is a blow up around 3 to 3.15 am.
I see my tidal volume  seems to be ok except for an occasional  drop so I guess I was getting enough O2, which is a most important  part of cpap.

Thanks

The event from 3 to 3:15 appears to be an obstructive cluster. If this happens a lot, then look to positional issues.  If it is infrequent, then don't worry about it too much.  It does not even appear to qualify as a periodic breathing event, so it's curious it got highlighted.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 460 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  I'm new. Shouldn't my machine respond more BeautifulDay 15 755 12-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,142 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,788 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Does Wellue customer service respond to you? SleeperAwake21 1 659 01-06-2022, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.