Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why do I get the big leaks early in the morning.
Why do I get the big leaks early in the morning.
Just curious as to if I get leaks, why they take place in th early AM.  Overall I sleep great and wake up refreshed.  I have attached some screenshots from OSCAR.  I have included the below in case that helps. 

Mask type - Evora FFM
Chin Strap - Knightsbridge Dual Band
Short beard trimmed between 3-4mm

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why do I get the big leaks early in the morning.
Personally I never found the hybrid masks like the Evora FFM, F30i etc. to benefit my therapy because they rely on the cushion to inflate and make a seal and I could never get leaks under control. Have you considered trying a simpler full face mask like a Resmed F20? I have a short beard as well and the silicon cushioned F20 works amazing for me.

If I were you'd I'd pick up an F20 fit pack and find the mask that best fits your face (probably a Medium) and see how it goes. Another key is to wash the silicon cushioned F20 w/ dish soap every night before going to sleep so it gets tacky and makes a great seal.

My guess on your leaks (aside from leaking massively all night) is you're changing positions in your last REM segment and jarring the mask loose or wedging it against a pillow causing even more leaking to occur.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:33 AM)gainerfull Wrote: Personally I never found the hybrid masks like the Evora FFM, F30i etc. to benefit my therapy because they rely on the cushion to inflate and make a seal and I could never get leaks under control. Have you considered trying a simpler full face mask like a Resmed F20? I have a short beard as well and the silicon cushioned F20 works amazing for me.

If I were you'd I'd pick up an F20 fit pack and find the mask that best fits your face (probably a Medium) and see how it goes. Another key is to wash the silicon cushioned F20 w/ dish soap every night before going to sleep so it gets tacky and makes a great seal.

My guess on your leaks (aside from leaking massively all night) is you're changing positions in your last REM segment and jarring the mask loose or wedging it against a pillow causing even more leaking to occur.

gainerfull.  I have tried the F20 and Vitera.  Unfortunately they tend to cause a nasal abrasion on the bridge of my nose.  Sad.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:39 AM)Columbiabill Wrote: gainerfull.  I have tried the F20 and Vitera.  Unfortunately they tend to cause a nasal abrasion on the bridge of my nose.  Sad.

Have you tried finding an F10 by chance? Those fit my face like a glove and were smaller. I get a little irritation sometimes from the F20 but nothing I can't manage.

What about running the mask fit option on your CPAP before going to bed? If it were me I'd lightly tighten the straps until it tells me leaks are ok then I'd tuck my chin to my chest (as much as you can w/ your chin strap) and make sure that this position doesn't cause more leaks. It's no surprise that you're getting the worst leaks in you're last REM stage, my sleep disordered breathing is at it's worst during that time period as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have quite a few smaller leaks that should be addressed. Not enough to trigger the “>24l/min” large leak bell, but enough to impact sleep quality. I expect the steady state leaks are adjustments, not mouth leaks. The big leaks you are referring to look like mouth leaks due to the sudden onset and size.

I use the Evora FFM as well and found that I can get almost zero leaks by fitting it loosely, turning on pressure, tightening enough to stop the leaks, pulling it slightly away from my face to allow the cushions to expand, then settling it back down. My 95% leaks with that process are in the 4 l/min range.

For me the Evora FFM was a game-changer for overall therapy, but it took a bit to get the adjustments just right. Once you do get it adjusted to your liking, i suggest making a mark on the straps showing where they sit so you can start from the same place nightly.

One thing to note is I use a soft cervical collar as well. I had no luck with chinstraps and have found a sweet spot with the SCC and Evora FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Pressure] Intermittent leaks on my AirCurve 10 Daniel5584 2 49 7 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 8 191 11 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Do you turn off your Airsense in the morning after using? dharma2255 9 302 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 480 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 173 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 398 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 234 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.