Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why do machines not have option to beep, when leaking?
Why do machines not have option to beep, when leaking?
On another post, I discussed my ER visit today, that was caused by my heart going haywire due to sleep apnea events and leaking masks. If only the machine would start beeping, if it detects a continuous leak after a certain amount of time, then it could wake me up to fix it. This could have possibly saved me several times from going to ER due to abnormal heart beat caused by leaks.

I know some people don't want options like this that wake them up. But at least give the option to others. They could also give an option if AHI starts going up at night. that it beeps to alert you. Does ResMed employees not have AFIB themselves? They don't seem to think about things like this, nor give much thought into their masks to prevent leaking in the first place.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why do machines not have option to beep, when leaking?
I tend to agree.  A good night's rest is wasted when you awaken only to find the red 'angry face' staring at you.  It would be far better, I think, to be awakened with the aim of refitting the mask or simply moving, and thence to fall asleep after a while, sooner if you are lucky, and to actually get to the next REM stage...mebbe.

There could be unintended problems, though.  It two people are sharing the same space and the alarm sounds...…………………………….
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2018, 11:43 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I tend to agree.  A good night's rest is wasted when you awaken only to find the red 'angry face' staring at you.  It would be far better, I think, to be awakened with the aim of refitting the mask or simply moving, and thence to fall asleep after a while, sooner if you are lucky, and to actually get to the next REM stage...mebbe.

There could be unintended problems, though.  It two people are sharing the same space and the alarm sounds...…………………………….

Oh, I see what you did right there.  Playing in Sarcastic Dave's pool.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually found that the "ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A" has a high-leak alarm and backup-rate. But i think this model is not a vAuto but has just a set bi-level pressure that doesn't automatically change.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
VAuto does have a leak alarm, it is not very loud however, here is a link to how to enable http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-exclusive
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed machines do have a leak alert, but it's quiet.

BTW whoever was in the pool recently forgot to turn off the lights.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, believe me.  They didn't FORGET.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2018, 11:22 AM)MyronH Wrote: I actually found that the "ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A" has a high-leak alarm and backup-rate. But i think this model is not a vAuto but has just a set bi-level pressure that doesn't automatically change.

The ST-A does have iVAPS mode, which does allow automatically adjusted IPAP only, not EPAP, so effectively it is auto-adjusting pressure support (to meet set ventilation requirements). Unless you have a respiratory issue there would be no need for this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2018, 08:08 PM)silversnore Wrote: VAuto does have a leak alarm, it is not very loud however, here is a link to how to enable  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-exclusive

Thanks. That is interesting you can't have Smartstart turned on at same time. But I guess that makes sense since it always is blowing air checking for when it needs to start. 

I didn't know my Aircurve had any type of speaker in it to sound an alarm. I guess I'll try it to see how it sounds tonight. If it's not loud to wake me up then it's of no use to me and resmed need to make it louder or have adjustable volume. Resmed seems to only think things through half ways. If Apple made these machines, they would go back to the drawing board before they were released to the public.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
There are some oximeters on Amazon that sound an alarm for various issues. You might want to investigate that. They don't necessarily work with Sleepyhead, but if your O2 is falling sufficiently, it would cause an alarm to go off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  csa machines cexer 1 78 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 346 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 679 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 569 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 501 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.