Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why do your numbers change?
Why do your numbers change?
First, I want to thank all of you for helping me. If it were not for you I would be stabbing in the dark and not taking control of my own health which is critical. You are my rocks and I appreciate all of your input so much!!! I am new to this and want to understand all I can.

So, finally yesterday the DME delivered my x-small pillow and I used it last night. I did not feel like I slept as well last night for some reason and this morning I read the data card. It showed that I had an AHI of 2.21. The leaks that were an issue for me were 12.0 Hyponia 0.65 Apnea 0 Obstructive 0.78, Clear Airway 0.78. The night before, my leak rate was 19 and the AHI was 0.24.

Is it normal to have fluctuations in AHI? My pressure is set to 8. I am still trying to understand all this.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why do your numbers change?
Yes, it is normal. There are a lot of variables that affect our sleep every night. New mask, new pillow size, leaks, sleep position, etc. etc. No 2 nights will be the same. As long as you are able to keep your leaks under 24 and your AHI under 5 then I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you feel really sick or feel bad. Hope this helps.

I go back and forth between 2 nasal mask cushion sizes. One night the one cushion size may work great and the next night, for whatever reason, it is uncomfortable, leaking more, etc. and I change to the other cushion size and all is well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me50 said it best. No two sleep session are the same.
Your numbers sound pretty good. And your treatment pressure is low compared to people like me.
So, keep on doing what your doing.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you again!!! I was dreaming so vividly last night and about the dumbest thing, Reading the card from my machine of all things!! I think I am being overly worried but hopefully that will settle in now that I have taken more control over it. Knowing that the numbers actually look pretty good is a huge help to me. I have been ill, I had pneumonia last week, and am still getting over it so probably some of that is coming into play here. I did find myself in a rather uncomfortable position last night for some reason, I just could not settle in. Sigh.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2014, 07:50 AM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Thank you again!!! I was dreaming so vividly last night and about the dumbest thing, Reading the card from my machine of all things!! I think I am being overly worried but hopefully that will settle in now that I have taken more control over it. Knowing that the numbers actually look pretty good is a huge help to me. I have been ill, I had pneumonia last week, and am still getting over it so probably some of that is coming into play here. I did find myself in a rather uncomfortable position last night for some reason, I just could not settle in. Sigh.

Your numbers look good. Keep doing what you're doing.
Take care of yourself and get better!!!!!!

Coffee Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Just keep a 'weather eye' on the leak rate and the AHI. Try to keep the leak rate down, and while "less than 5" is wonderful, for some of us, "less than 10" is usually all we can hope for.

Example: I switched from my FFM the other night to a mask I really like, and for whatever reason, my AHI for that night was '48'~!!! Very, very bad. Switched masks again (back to my FFM) and my AHI was my more usual '8.4' type number.

If you leak rate is low, but your AHI starts climbing, you have a problem that needs fixing. One night may be a fluke but 3-7 nights that are bad in a row is a sign that something needs to change.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why we say look at the trends, not each night. You are looking for your normal ranges.

Since you are just starting out, you might want to consider keeping a sleep journal. I can be as simple or as complicated as you want.

Before sleep, not how each day went. Good day, bad day, high stress, fun day, bad day at work, baseball game, beer with friends.
Note anything 'noteworthy' about that day. Tried a new food, might be catching a cold, getting over a cold, headache, etc.

In the morning, note how you slept. Like a rock, woke up a lot, dreamed but can't remember, do remember.

Then when you sit down and look at the data, you can compare the numbers to the sleep journal, maybe even noting the AHI in it. Then you can see how stuff works. Or doesn't! Beer with friends got you a higher AHI than the cold medicine? High stress days really mess up your sleep?

Then, if you are so inclined, you can take steps to make your sleep better. Like, drink cold medicine instead of beer. Just kidding!!! Oh-jeezLaugh-a-lot
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Peter: did you reconfigure your machine for the new mask type? I know that S9s (at least) need to know if you are using FFM or nasal.

Marnid2014: I concur with the others, your numbers are looking good!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2014, 12:53 PM)c0reDump Wrote: Peter: did you reconfigure your machine for the new mask type? I know that S9s (at least) need to know if you are using FFM or nasal.

Yuppers - am aware, and with my machine, can't use auto-start with the high leak alarm - so I make all sorts of changes if I swap masks.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
What Paula O2 said. I am an advocate of the journal. It has helped me a lot to follow my trends. My AHI fluctuates within the normal range quite a bit. My leak rates stay pretty steady.

Not long ago my comfort with my mask began to decline and AHI began to climb. I was suddenly having to fidget a lot with the mask trying to get it to feel better and my nose began getting sore. I discovered I needed to change my nasal pillows. When I put new ones on everything went back to "Normal Paping" for me. Saying "Normal" is a stretch if you have to be on CPAP but a life saver and very necessary.

Keeping track of those instances in a journal, dates when I have replaced my pillows, filters on my machine, etc. is very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.