Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why does my Pressure and Leaks go crazy
RE: Why does my Pressure and Leaks go crazy
(07-11-2014, 03:43 PM)bwexler Wrote: "And your PS is set to range from 1.8 to 18.3?? (That does not quite make sense to me, since it's an awfully wide PS range.)"

I agree, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what changes would be appropriate. Any recomendations ar welcome.
tThat's above my pay scale.

Seriously, it's worth asking the sleep doc who is responsible for prescribing these settings why the max PS is so high and the min PS is so low.

But then again, these settings are working well for you most of the time. Do you often max out that IPAP = 25 with an extremely large gap between EPAP and IPAP?

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to drag up an old topic but I am doing some forum hopping and I know you are still having problems with the high levels of pressure support.

From the Sleepyhead graphs here I note that when the PS goes sky high, the EPAP also rises. During these same periods the overall flow rate has dropped and so the machine is doing what it is meant to do and trying to maintain a steady flow rate. I agree with Robysue and Palerider that the leaks are not the cause of the increased pressure support.

So the question is why is a PS of 18 still not giving you good flow when a PS of 10 should be more than enough? The answer is high resistance (partial obstruction). Assuming that you are not awake and fighting the machine which is certainly a possibility, this leaves : possible kinking of the tubing, your partially blocked nose or upper airway obstruction. As the flow did not respond to the increased EPAP it is unlikely to be upper airway.

This leaves your nose as the most likely suspect. I am sure that you know all about the potential remedies starting with nasal steroid sprays, regular saline washes (which do work for me) or surgery as a last resort!

Hope this helps.
Ian
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes Ian, I do believe my stuffy nose is the problem.
I will probably have to bite the bullet and resort to a nasal rinse or a full face mask. I have had chronic nasal congestion for years. It is sometimes worse than other times. Now seems to be a period of worse.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 144 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 537 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 912 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 377 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.