Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why does my face look so terrible when I don't sleep enough?
Why does my face look so terrible when I don't sleep enough?
From HUFFPOST Healthy Living
There's a million reasons to get a good night's rest, but one of them is the simple fact that people tend to look terrible when they're exhausted.

In fact, a recently published study in the journal Sleep showed that eyes get more swollen and red, eyelids get droopier and skin gets more wrinkled when people skimp on shuteye. Meanwhile, another study showed that getting eight hours of sleep makes faces appear more attractive and healthier, compared with the faces of people who stay up all night.

But why do the eyes and skin on our face seem so affected by sleep (or lack thereof)?

Dr. Sherrif F. Ibrahim, M.D., Ph.D., assistant professor in the Department of Dermatology at the University of Rochester Medical Center, says that it has to do water retention, and the fact that the skin of the upper and lower eyelids is the the thinnest skin on our bodies.

"Any changes in hydration, whether you’re dehydrated or you have salt retention because you have a big meal the night before, are going to reflect in that thin skin so easily compared to any other skin in the body," Ibrahim tells HuffPost. Specifically, being dehydrated will produce a more sunken look, while having too much salt (like if you consumed a really salty meal the night before) will lead to water retention and a puffy look.

How sleep in particular affects this water retention is still not completely known, Ibrahim says. However, he speculates that it could have something to do with the reason for why a person stayed up late the night before.

"Usually when people are up late, if they're doing something, they're usually drinking or partying or crying, and that is more of a contributor to why their eyes might be puffier," he says.

As for those dark under-eye circles, a number of factors could be at play. Ibrahim notes that it's the blood vessels under the skin that are actually responsible for the darkish hue, so when you're dehydrated, you can better see the color of the blood vessels (which appear blue under the skin). In addition, as people get older and begin to enter middle age, they will begin to lose volume around the eyes, producing what is called a "tear trough." This "tear trough" casts a shadow where the cheek and eyelid meet, which also contributes to the appearance of darkening. While these are general factors responsible for contributing to darkening around the eyes, Ibrahim notes that lack of sleep will only exacerbate these effects. So get your beauty sleep!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why does my face look so terrible when I don't sleep enough?
I don't know about you Zonk, but my face looks terrible all the time. crygreen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why does my face look so terrible when I don't sleep enough?
From the threads title, I tough it was going to be about Zonk's face.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 450 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 753 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 366 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.