Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Autoset does not set the right pressure
RE: Autoset does not set the right pressure
The p10 (especially the non-adjustable strap) is notorious for stretching out and loosing a lot of its elasticity. It requires frequent washing just to shrink it back down.

I used to use a p10 and changed to the P30i for that very reason.

The newer style p10 strap address this problem.

Autosets don't set the pressure, they continuously alter the pressure to adjust for ones changing needs. Yours is currently handcuffed and can't adjust the pressure needs should your need be greater.

Yes, I do trust auto-titrating machines (providing one actually optimises based on trends) more than a sleep study.

Sleep studies are terrific at measuring severity at poor at determining pressure. Pressure needs are not closely tied to severity. Split studies are much better, but even they only monitor a single night, in a poor sleeping environment and don't account for changing needs, or even REM.

There is a current trend amongst many DMEs to replace titrating sleep studies with auto-titrating machines and then set pressure based solely on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2022, 04:13 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote:  Yours is currently handcuffed and can't adjust the pressure needs should your need be greater.
Hi Tom, 
Dog is absolutely correct, the OSCAR report you showed for May 7 shows the machine stopping at 8 cm , because that was the limit that was set (aka handcuffed). 
Look specifically at 00:01 your machine was trying to increase pressure (in response to flow limitations) but was only allowed to go to 8cm - because that was the limit it had been set for.
Also look at about 02:10, that Flow Limitation approx .5-.6 on a scale of 0-1.0 should have resulted in a big increase in pressure - but it was self-limited to 8.
Inspite of having the brakes set at 8cm (thereby not permitting the machine to go higher) your two OSCAR examples AHI of 0.9 and 1.1 are actually pretty good and for all intents and purposes are equal. 
Unless there is some other symptom of apnea, if it were I,  I would leave the setting where they are for a while and see that your symptoms and AHIs look like after a couple of weeks. (obviously if you don't tolerate the max at 8cm - you have to consider increasing it)
From your prior report your mask (and tubing) leaks seem to escalate above 10 cm - which is most likely a loss of seal.
Good luck to you,
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you dataq1. I know the A11 wanted to increase the pressure to 14 cmH2O. But from data of past few years I know the increase would just cause mask leak without reducing the AHI nor flow limitation. I tend to believe the sleep study result that 7 cmH2O is sufficient for my apnea. Nonetheless I plan to increase the max pressure to see if it will reduce the flow limitation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 114 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Pressure reading on Resmed 11 AutoSet Ajalkio 2 1,036 07-27-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Ajalkio
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,863 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.