Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why does the mask valve sometime 'thump'?
Why does the mask valve sometime 'thump'?
I can't recall what the conditions were at the time, but I am occasionally aware of the little flappy valve in my Resmed FF mask shutting off with a little 'thump'. It happened several times in a row this morning, while i was awake enough to notice. I couldn't figure out why it happens but assume it's when I do something, perhaps not exhaling for a while or breathing out of synch with the machine?

Looking at my charts revealed literally nothing other than the usual sleep/wake transition junk. theer were no events during that period and no flow limitations - that I can see at least.

Why does the valve do this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why does the mask valve sometime 'thump'?
Are you certain it was not a humidifier chamber not completely seated? That's what I get sometimes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's definitely the mask valve. I can feel it thump as well as hear it. I can force it to happen by turning the machine off but then carrying on breathing, when it thumps to and fro. I can't figure out why it happens when the machine is running though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me too. I thought it was just me. Very definitely the mask. A clear thump. There is no pattern. Sometimes it happens several days in a row and sometimes nothing for months. I've never been awaken by a thump so I assume it has to do with a change of breathing when I wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thumping is caused by the Anti Asphyxiation (AA) valve opening and closing. The pressure typically keeps it closed and it opens should there be a power or CPAP failure.

If it is opening/closing during therapy, you are probably take a long deep breath and drawing more air than the device is capable of providing.  Increase pressure or consciously take less deep breaths.

Turn your machine off, take some breaths, with a mirror watch the AA valve, you will see it open and close, the thumping will align with the closing of the valve.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the noise is caused by drops of water on the valve flap or seal. This can happen if you over fill the humidifier tub, have rain out, or if you washed the mask and it didn't completely dry.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have experienced the same issue (noise). Not sure why it occurs, but it seems to do it randomly. 

It's definitely in the mask connection, not in the water reservoir or a rain-out issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
It happened again this morning, but this time I was able to figure out that the thump occurs at the end of an exhalation. I'm not sure if that's a clue to the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2022, 08:55 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I think the noise is caused by drops of water on the valve flap or seal. This can happen if you over fill the humidifier tub, have rain out, or if you washed the mask and it didn't completely dry.

That's possible. It isn't the water itself making the noise, but perhaps droplets can interfere with the normal operation of the valve.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the same thing, usually when I first put the mask on while the system is ramping up. I have a short ramp period, more out of habit than anything else. Beside hearing the thump, I can also feel it. Seeing as it goes away in several breaths, I don't really worry about it.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,523 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,204 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  F20 Mask Exhalation Valve Homerec130 6 1,882 09-27-2020, 07:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,092 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,830 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.