Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why does what worked, stop working?
Why does what worked, stop working?
Hi Pap-pers,
Second night in new mask (Nuance.) It irritates my Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) less but it presses on roots of my upper teeth (where I have crowns at the end of their lives already) and I can't add to my dental woes. I know I am supposed to stay with a week to see how it does according to the DME, but I know I can't deal with the teeth.

So last night I ended up taking it off after having terrible night of getting up to pee very frequently, and not great therapy either, and went back to my beloved p10, which I set aside because it did irritate my TN trigger over time.

Well it too didn't give me good therapy the rest of the night...it was less "good" than it had been.

I have had it 34 days, been alternating between two sets of nasal pillows (so I only have to wash them every other) and I haven't washed the head strap which I hear can help it firm up again a bit tighter. I may ALSO have had the headstrap set a bit looser last night to stay off that nerve trigger.

What causes a mask that had been doing pretty good, to not stay put, or have more leaks etc, after a month? I keep the pillows clean and face is clean, not oily, not using any product that might be trouble on it, etc.

Susan...not discouraged, just confused.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why does what worked, stop working?
Wash the head gear weekly period.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2015, 05:00 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: Wash the head gear weekly period.

Thanks Mike,
Yes that sounds nice and clean and hygienic Grin The only reason I didn't, is because with my Trigeminal Neuralgia being pained by the mask, it felt better after stretching a bit, and I've heard it tightens up when washed.

Is there a way to stretch it out a bit right after washing to get it back to where it was?
If the TN is pressed on, the mask has to go off and I can't not wear it. In the meantime I'm searching for a mask like the p10 but with more headgear adjustment ability.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
To quote Paula: Aliens.

Sometimes it's just not possible to pinpoint why things change for better or worse.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
How about the Aloha? It's definitely more substantial & heavier than the P10, but is far more adjustable. I find it very comfortable, and the only reason I'm not still using it is that I sleep with my hair wet and the Aloha's back strap can't be angled very low on the back of my neck under my hair. My vanity just won't tolerate the resultant strap mark :grin:, not to mention that having wet hair pressed against my scalp and neck all night is irritating. I have to shower at night and spread my hair up and over my pillow to dry, since it's very long and air-drying it takes hours (and heat/blow drying does too much damage and flattens my waves *ahem* did I mention my hair vanity?...m'kay, moving on...).

Anyway, the Aloha has two sets of guides for the top strap to go through, so you can choose to have the top strap positioned further forward or back. I don't think you said exactly where your TN trigger point is, but perhaps that could help you avoid it. Additionally, tightening the top strap can pull up on the pillow and cause the cheek pads to "float" a bit, reducing pressure on the teeth and face. The angle of the pillows can also be adjusted by how far into the sides of the main pillow you place the curved stems of the headgear. I find that putting them only far enough in to "catch", instead of all the way in, lifts the pillow up so it doesn't press down on my upper lip/teeth.

The detailed photos of the Aloha on one of the suppliers' websites should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about above, so you can rule it in or out as a possibility.

I have actually removed the Aloha's top strap with its hose-management loop and am using it to make my P10 somewhat adjustable. That might also be an option for you - just get the replacement headgear for the Aloha and steal the top strap (and loop, if you want) to use on the P10.

I attached the Aloha top strap to the P10 right above my ears, and now I can put the entire elastic P10 band under my hair. This makes the whole thing more stable without really reducing the comfort and lightness inherent to the P10. Having the management loop, which can be moved anywhere on the top strap, has improved the seal on the pillows also, since I can direct the hose up or to the side instead - no more hose dragging down on the pillows when I move in my sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2015, 07:35 PM)hootietoot Wrote: How about the Aloha? It's definitely more substantial & heavier than the P10, but is far more adjustable. I find it very comfortable, and the only reason I'm not still using it is that I sleep with my hair wet and the Aloha's back strap can't be angled very low on the back of my neck under my hair. My vanity just won't tolerate the resultant strap mark :grin:, not to mention that having wet hair pressed against my scalp and neck all night is irritating. I have to shower at night and spread my hair up and over my pillow to dry, since it's very long and air-drying it takes hours (and heat/blow drying does too much damage and flattens my waves *ahem* did I mention my hair vanity?...m'kay, moving on...).

Anyway, the Aloha has two sets of guides for the top strap to go through, so you can choose to have the top strap positioned further forward or back. I don't think you said exactly where your TN trigger point is, but perhaps that could help you avoid it. Additionally, tightening the top strap can pull up on the pillow and cause the cheek pads to "float" a bit, reducing pressure on the teeth and face. The angle of the pillows can also be adjusted by how far into the sides of the main pillow you place the curved stems of the headgear. I find that putting them only far enough in to "catch", instead of all the way in, lifts the pillow up so it doesn't press down on my upper lip/teeth.

The detailed photos of the Aloha on one of the suppliers' websites should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about above, so you can rule it in or out as a possibility.

I have actually removed the Aloha's top strap with its hose-management loop and am using it to make my P10 somewhat adjustable. That might also be an option for you - just get the replacement headgear for the Aloha and steal the top strap (and loop, if you want) to use on the P10.

I attached the Aloha top strap to the P10 right above my ears, and now I can put the entire elastic P10 band under my hair. This makes the whole thing more stable without really reducing the comfort and lightness inherent to the P10. Having the management loop, which can be moved anywhere on the top strap, has improved the seal on the pillows also, since I can direct the hose up or to the side instead - no more hose dragging down on the pillows when I move in my sleep.
Hi hootietoot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are able to make the P10 more functional for you.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2015, 08:47 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi hootietoot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are able to make the P10 more functional for you.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

Thank you for the kind welcome, trish!
Post Reply Post Reply
The Nuance presses against your teeth?? Then you have it too tight. The Nuance, like all nasal pillows, aren't supposed to be forced into or onto the nostrils to make a seal. They make a seal but either going inside and the rings of the pillow making the seal or, in the case of the Nuance, the gel ring on the outside makes the seal. If it is pressing so hard it is hitting your teeth, then it is too tight.

I also have bad upper front teeth and one of the reasons I love the nuance is it doesn't touch my upper teeth or jaw at all. Some pillows, the frame is dependent on sitting on the upper lip for support and I hated that.

And no, you don't have to wait a week. I've known some masks wouldn't work in less than one night. All but one I gave two nights try to make sure I got all the pieces parts in the right places.

___

And, putting on my moderator hat, please do not start multiple threads on the same topic. This thread would be better in the same one as all your other threads about your Nuance. That way we are not repeating ourselves and you are not either. It is all about the same mask and the same situation.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just ordered a new cushion for my FFM - AirFit F10. I am still intransigent as a periodic mouth breather, while 80% of the time am breathing through the nose. I have noticed the 2.5 months have definitely changed the mask cushion stiffness. you just have to get a replacement at some point. I hope you get some relief on the toothache, you just cant push on the TN.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,
Thanks for your encouragement and ideas. Paula, (though it occured to me today that you could be Paul-A as you have no gender in the profile) Sorry bout that, will learn hopefully. Give me a kick in the seat of the pants if I'm not getting it right. Thanks for the kind nudge.

Welcome Hootie, I am SO glad I'm not the only person who goes to bed with wet hair and things "drat, this headgear is messing it up bad" I wake up with what I call "cpap hair" ...I have a bob about chin length, well when I wear my p10 which makes it flip out at the bottom in the back and sides, which could be cute if intentional and not hit or miss, but no I don't want to look like the dutchboy paints kid. Meanwhile, I shall take a look at the Aloha.

I've often thought I'd like to start a women's thread cause I do think there are ways that we experience the whole apnea/diagnosis/hair woes, differently...though in this day and age one doesn't get to have things that are "girls only" so much so probably not. I guess a topic could be started for women knowing that both may reply or comment. I'd be fine with that. Maybe something in the offtopic area...not sure. Paula, has it been done many times before? I suppose I should search the old threads.

Qui I almost wrote you today to beg you to take a look at my data for the last two nights, to see if I was missing anything. But for now I think I need to look at the big picture. First things first. No. 1. A MASK I can LIVE with. yes?

The Aloha sounds interesting. I shall take a look at it Hootie.

Thanks Ya'll...I'm keeping on keeping on...

Susan

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 96 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,469 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,551 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 540 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.