Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why don't mask manufacturers publish Pressure Ratings for their masks?
Why don't mask manufacturers publish Pressure Ratings for their masks?
As an engineer I have a technical understanding of pressure support by devices that are designed to handle pressure. CPAP masks are no different.
Each mask is designed to deliver the air flow at specific maximum pressures set by your CPAP device while the mask itself has to form a seal with your face in order to contain this air volume at a specific max pressure , however masks are like all other devices when the "seal" is designed to contain up to a maximum pressure before it "blows". For example your car tires or  your BBQ Propane Tank or any other pressure vessel.
All these vessels are required by law to exhibit their maximum pressure support rating...but not CPAP masks.
When you are shopping for a mask, you have absolutely no clue whether or not it will handle your "Prescribed Pressure" so you bring it home to try.
The first night it will keep leaking, so you tighten up the head gear to compress the seal but it leaks again so you keep tightening the darn thing until your face looks like a pancake and just when you manage to contain the pressure, you find that it is absolutely impossible to fall asleep with your new contraption, so you give up.
The truth is that your mask was never "rated" for your prescribed pressure in the first place, but since mask manufacturers are not obliged to publish their pressure ratings, you had no way of knowing.
Good news is that this data can be obtained with some fishing over the internet.  So next time you are shopping for a mask, it may be a good idea to research it's pressure rating before you part with your money....and sanity.

Now, don't be shy and tell us about your struggles with mask leaks and how you finally fixed it....or if you ever fixed it at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why don't mask manufacturers publish Pressure Ratings for their masks?
CPAP masks are designed to be lightly held to the face. Honestly it would take a lot of pressure to blow the seal of a properly fitted mask, far more than your device produces.
The first analytical task is to fully realize what the very low pressures used by CPAPs (20cmw), BiLevels (25-30 cmw), all well under 1 PSI.
Most masks seal because the delivered pressure actually extends a flap llf silicon which forms the seal. Over tightening actually distorts the mask and causes leaks.

The foam masks do not work on this principal and actually require you to distort the foam to confirm to your face. Even wiith these overtighrening will cause a facial distortion and leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP's are actually in the range of 1/3 Psi or less. Try the balloon experiment. put any balloon on the outlet of your cpap. it will not blow it up. if the balloon is big and loose it may fill up the loose  space. but will not inflate it. It is very low pressure and high volume like a fan. there's no air pressure created in a fan.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
There absolutely IS pressure. 
10 CMH2O is the equivalent of about 0.15 Psi and CPAPS can go up to 30 CMH2O which is the equivalent of about 0.5 Psi...That is quite a lot of pressure at fairly significant volumes like 10 Liters per minute.
That much pressure requires a very good seal or it will no doubt "leak" (blow)
Post Reply Post Reply
10 cmH2O = 0.142233 PSI
30 cmH2O = 0.4267 PSI
Adding one more, the machine my RT says I need, Astral 150, Max is 50 cmH2O = 0.711167

My Fisher and Paykel Vitera that works fine on the ASV, will also be able to pair with the Astral. Why? Paying attention to proper fit, strap adjusting, and placement. My best leak rate was Max of 10 while on my typical ASV Auto settings EPAP 8-13 PS 3-15 IPAP 11-28. 10 on the leaks was a repeatable rate, I didn't sacrifice comfort, nor did I take months to refine it further. Could I get it lower? Probably but I didn't.

Why aren't there pressure statistics on CPAP masks? I guess FDA and the manufacturers didn't consider it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 364 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.