Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

Question Why don't medical professionals listen?
Today I had my quarterly blood draw for my Endo (for my diabetes and Klinefelter's treatments). The hospital tech asked me which arm I preferred to have the blood drawn from. I explained that while I really did not care, the veins in my right arm roll and the Indiana Blood Center taps my left arm when I give blood every 2-months (having AB+ blood type*, I feel obligated to give - 3.5 gallons to date).

After explaining all this, the tech proceeded to tap my right arm....and, as you've probably guessed - missed the vein. She made a couple of stabs at the vein without drawing the needle out of my arm before giving up, moving to my left arm, and getting the four vials of blood. In all fairness, I should mention that techs, on very rare occasions, have successfully gotten blood from my right arm.

Why do they bother to ask, if they don't believe you?

*-Sidebar: More about blood types in a later posting/thread.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-09-2013 12:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Why don't medical professionals listen?
I have AB+ as well but cannot donate, dangit. If I ever need blood, I'll call you.

I have lousy veins. I don't get ill seeing them poke me but I get ill when they start wiggling it around. Even if I am not watching so I don't know they are doing it, I get nauseous. I usually have them take it from the back of my hand. NEVER let them take it from the front of the wrist. Hurts like the beejeebers.

At my doc's office, there's one tech that always works with me. The first time, I said I had hard to find veins and just go for the one on the back of my hand. "Oh no, I can find a vein in you." I warned her again and mention the nausea but she saw it as a "challenge". So she looks in both arms and thinks she has one. Fine. Not there. So she wiggles it. She happens to look up at my face and sees me turning a lovely shade of white then green. I didn't barf, but it was very close. She goes for the back of the hand each time now. She still looks because she knows it hurts but they're never there.

And then there was the time for my first colonoscopy where I wake that morning with a migraine, hurl up that lovely drink, and then go in for the procedure. They were looking at my ankles right before they decided to give me a shot to knock me out so they could cut down to one. And yes, I warned them ahead of time, too. I warned them when making the appt and I called them that morning to warn them again. At one point, there were two IV teams, the procedure team, the anesthesiologist, and then one of the nurses from the ER came up to try.

So no, they don't listen. I really think it is a challenge thing.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-09-2013 12:37 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Just reading this thread makes me feel funny. I hate needles. Nervous

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-09-2013 11:34 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

I should pull a DC and start posting huge images of syringe and IV needles.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

01-09-2013 01:27 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(01-09-2013 01:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  I should pull a DC and start posting huge images of syringe and IV needles.

Blink Nonosign

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-09-2013 03:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Hey, Paula, did you know that having AB+ blood means you are a universal recipient for blood transfusions - basically you can use any type of blood, if you need it. Type O is the universal donor type. When the blood center explained this to me, I asked why they were always after me to give blood. It appears that they don't want the whole blood, just the plasma which I used to give until they switched machines. The RN's at the IBC said that my veins would not take the pressure generated by the new extraction machines; so now I give whole blood.

As for drawing blood from the back of your hand - NEVER AGAIN!! Back in 1985, when I had a severe asthma attack that put me in the hospital for almost a week, they drew blood gases from the back of my hand. It was an excruciating experience, as they left the needle in my hand for several days while they got my breathing back on track. I made myself a promise that I'd never let anyone, for any reason tap the veins on the back of my hands.

SS, don't you give yourself insulin shots, or does you SO give them to you? I don't like needles either but the insulin pen needles are so fine that you almost need a magnifying glass to see the needle.
01-09-2013 04:44 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sounds like you need a 2X4 to get their attention first.
...oh my, did I type that out loud?

Big Grin
01-10-2013 11:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(01-09-2013 04:44 PM)PollCat Wrote:  SS, don't you give yourself insulin shots, or does you SO give them to you? I don't like needles either but the insulin pen needles are so fine that you almost need a magnifying glass to see the needle.

No, I don't do insulin (yet). Trying to control the diabetes via diet only. I do use the small blood sugar meters occasionally with the small lancets that prick your finger to get a small drop of blood for testing, but that's nothing like a long needle and syringe. Confused

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-10-2013 05:14 PM
blebs Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP S BiPAP
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Flex Fit 432
Humidifier: Resmed H5I
CPAP Pressure: 11 EPAP 20 IPAP
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Why don't they listen? Better question is, why can't they read? Why do you spend 20 minutes filling out forms describing your health history, all to have the doctor ask you for the same information that you just spent 20 minutes putting on paper?
05-19-2013 10:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

(05-19-2013 10:16 AM)blebs Wrote:  Why don't they listen? Better question is, why can't they read? Why do you spend 20 minutes filling out forms describing your health history, all to have the doctor ask you for the same information that you just spent 20 minutes putting on paper?

I quit filling out those forms when I re-see a doctor/practice; I just write "check your records, my memory is not as good as my health history in your files".

The ones that get me now are the 'new' doctors/practices that I see who are affiliated with a given hospital. If they are now part of that hospital, why aren't they able to pull up my health history? Of course I now see doctors affiliated with four hospital systems (St. Vincent's, Community, IU Health, and Riverview (which is affiliated with St. V's)). I figure that at some time in the near future all these systems will merge into one massive system - assuming they can get passed their philosophical differences.
05-20-2013 07:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] Hospital Medical Devices Used as Weapons in Cyberattacks AlanE 0 326 06-09-2015 01:54 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Medical Tag Eurika 7 1,371 11-10-2014 07:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Angry I noted the medical device tax was applied to my last DME supplies justMongo 0 654 05-12-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Question Medical Alert Bracelet with Link to Medical History/Info MAPnea 12 2,954 02-26-2014 09:53 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor
  [News] Medical Bills - You CAN fight them ApneaNews 0 1,024 07-21-2013 05:22 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Is there a "Medical Mafia"? archangle 30 7,486 06-26-2013 04:06 PM
Last Post: Shastzi
  [News] MEDICAL DEVICE COMPANIES SUFFER DEADLY OBAMACARE TAX ApneaNews 5 3,004 02-05-2013 03:54 PM
Last Post: Shastzi