Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Why humidification on CPAP
Why do many of us need humidification when we are on CPAP but do not need it when awake? More air going through the airway? Something about the machine drying the air being supplied?

I know that I seem to need a lot of humidification on CPAP. I have never been a mouth breather and I have never suffered dry mouth when awake.

What do you think? Maybe it is the miserable cats!

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-28-2014 12:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

RE: Why humidification on CPAP
(05-28-2014 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  Why do many of us need humidification when we are on CPAP but do not need it when awake? More air going through the airway?

Yes.

(05-28-2014 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  Something about the machine drying the air being supplied?

I know that I seem to need a lot of humidification on CPAP.

Yes.

(05-28-2014 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  I have never been a mouth breather and I have never suffered dry mouth when awake.
What do you think? Maybe it is the miserable cats!

Yes.

(05-28-2014 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-28-2014 12:11 AM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Don't underestimate the power heated humidifiers
Up to 65% of CPAP users experience nasal congestion and dryness of the nose and throat
For some people the symptoms can be severe enough to discontinue treatment

When we can keep the nose and mouth adequately humidified (happy), everything works nicely together to accomplish CPAP success
Happy nose ... Happy camper Coffee
05-28-2014 12:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Compression of air heats it. Heated air can hold more moisture. Without a humidifier, the relative humidity of the xPAP air would have a lower relative humidity than room air.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-28-2014 09:49 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(05-28-2014 09:49 AM)justMongo Wrote:  Compression of air heats it. Heated air can hold more moisture. Without a humidifier, the relative humidity of the xPAP air would have a lower relative humidity than room air.

I agree with what you say but I thought that the compression being as small as it is would not affect the temp and relative humidity enough to make much difference.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that I have lived in areas with low relative humidity and have never before encountered dry mouth. In fact several weeks ago the RH where we live got down to 17% during the day and no problem with dry mouth during the day.

Is it possible that many of us have enough minor mouth leakage to cause the mouth to get dry without extra moisture being supplied. There are some folks who do not use a heated humidifier. Are they the ones who seal off their mouth so well that it is not a problem?

Zonk Wrote:Don't underestimate the power heated humidifiers
Up to 65% of CPAP users experience nasal congestion and dryness of the nose and throat
For some people the symptoms can be severe enough to discontinue treatment

When we can keep the nose and mouth adequately humidified (happy), everything works nicely together to accomplish CPAP success
Happy nose ... Happy camper Coffee

I agree with the importance and efficacy of heated humidification. Just wondering what causes the need for it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-28-2014 10:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
glfredrick Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Quatro Mirage
CPAP Pressure: 14-18 auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Bi-vocational Pastor

Lack of humidity in the breathing passages often makes for other health problems. I've seen people get bloody noses, suffer infections when the mucus membranes dry out, get sores, sore throats, etc. Many winter-time ailments are actually just a lack of humdity in the air, especially in northern climates that get cold enough to freeze-dry the air coupled with a forced air heating system that literally turnes everythig desert dry! That we can humidify the air is a blessing!
05-28-2014 11:21 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(05-28-2014 10:58 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 09:49 AM)justMongo Wrote:  Compression of air heats it. Heated air can hold more moisture. Without a humidifier, the relative humidity of the xPAP air would have a lower relative humidity than room air.

I agree with what you say but I thought that the compression being as small as it is would not affect the temp and relative humidity enough to make much difference.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that I have lived in areas with low relative humidity and have never before encountered dry mouth. In fact several weeks ago the RH where we live got down to 17% during the day and no problem with dry mouth during the day.

Is it possible that many of us have enough minor mouth leakage to cause the mouth to get dry without extra moisture being supplied. There are some folks who do not use a heated humidifier. Are they the ones who seal off their mouth so well that it is not a problem?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

You are probably right that compression to say 14 cm-H2O is likely too small. (I'm not going to revisit Dr Lerner's Thermo class to estimate it)

It is common to use a water bubbler humidifier for those who are receiving oxygen too.

I would think those who keep their mouth closed and still during the night would have dry mouth. The little movements we make with our mouth emulate mastication (look it up sicko's) and active the salivary glands.

During those Santa Ana winds, I bet your humidifier tank used more water?

A minor mouth leak -- hmm: John Kerry talking about the Ukraine?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-28-2014 11:29 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(05-28-2014 11:29 AM)justMongo Wrote:  It is common to use a water bubbler humidifier for those who are receiving oxygen too.

They sure do. I think that hospitals use liquefied oxygen for their supply which has next to zero moisture.

Quote:A minor mouth leak -- hmm: John Kerry talking about the Ukraine?

My Definition:

Minor mouth leak-a mouth leak that is small enough that it does not affect therapy or may not even show up in the leakage data.

Quote:I would think those who keep their mouth closed and still during the night would have dry mouth. The little movements we make with our mouth emulate mastication (look it up sicko's) and active the salivary glands.

I had not thought of that. Makes sense to me but then I am one of those sickos.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 12:40 PM by PaytonA.)
05-28-2014 12:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DreamStation needs more humidification? taly 2 273 08-05-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: taly
  [Equipment] DreamStation Auto Humidification problem Giasdaddy2010 10 1,773 05-19-2016 10:31 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Cool or "passover" Humidification SideSleeper 10 637 05-03-2016 09:08 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Resmed S9 humidification problem StaceyA 4 795 01-24-2016 10:43 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Frustration and On or Off? Heated tube humidification? Daisylouu 9 1,089 12-31-2015 07:19 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  How do I increase humidification? AirPlease 18 1,691 09-25-2015 08:36 PM
Last Post: AirPlease
  System One humidification issues Roemere 2 603 07-31-2015 01:59 PM
Last Post: Shastzi