Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why humidification on CPAP
Why humidification on CPAP
Why do many of us need humidification when we are on CPAP but do not need it when awake? More air going through the airway? Something about the machine drying the air being supplied?

I know that I seem to need a lot of humidification on CPAP. I have never been a mouth breather and I have never suffered dry mouth when awake.

What do you think? Maybe it is the miserable cats!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why humidification on CPAP
(05-28-2014, 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Why do many of us need humidification when we are on CPAP but do not need it when awake? More air going through the airway?

Yes.

(05-28-2014, 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Something about the machine drying the air being supplied?

I know that I seem to need a lot of humidification on CPAP.

Yes.

(05-28-2014, 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I have never been a mouth breather and I have never suffered dry mouth when awake.
What do you think? Maybe it is the miserable cats!

Yes.

(05-28-2014, 12:05 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Best Regards,

PaytonA

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't underestimate the power heated humidifiers
Up to 65% of CPAP users experience nasal congestion and dryness of the nose and throat
For some people the symptoms can be severe enough to discontinue treatment

When we can keep the nose and mouth adequately humidified (happy), everything works nicely together to accomplish CPAP success
Happy nose ... Happy camper Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
Compression of air heats it. Heated air can hold more moisture. Without a humidifier, the relative humidity of the xPAP air would have a lower relative humidity than room air.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 09:49 AM)justMongo Wrote: Compression of air heats it. Heated air can hold more moisture. Without a humidifier, the relative humidity of the xPAP air would have a lower relative humidity than room air.

I agree with what you say but I thought that the compression being as small as it is would not affect the temp and relative humidity enough to make much difference.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that I have lived in areas with low relative humidity and have never before encountered dry mouth. In fact several weeks ago the RH where we live got down to 17% during the day and no problem with dry mouth during the day.

Is it possible that many of us have enough minor mouth leakage to cause the mouth to get dry without extra moisture being supplied. There are some folks who do not use a heated humidifier. Are they the ones who seal off their mouth so well that it is not a problem?

Zonk Wrote:Don't underestimate the power heated humidifiers
Up to 65% of CPAP users experience nasal congestion and dryness of the nose and throat
For some people the symptoms can be severe enough to discontinue treatment

When we can keep the nose and mouth adequately humidified (happy), everything works nicely together to accomplish CPAP success
Happy nose ... Happy camper Coffee

I agree with the importance and efficacy of heated humidification. Just wondering what causes the need for it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Lack of humidity in the breathing passages often makes for other health problems. I've seen people get bloody noses, suffer infections when the mucus membranes dry out, get sores, sore throats, etc. Many winter-time ailments are actually just a lack of humdity in the air, especially in northern climates that get cold enough to freeze-dry the air coupled with a forced air heating system that literally turnes everythig desert dry! That we can humidify the air is a blessing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 10:58 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(05-28-2014, 09:49 AM)justMongo Wrote: Compression of air heats it. Heated air can hold more moisture. Without a humidifier, the relative humidity of the xPAP air would have a lower relative humidity than room air.

I agree with what you say but I thought that the compression being as small as it is would not affect the temp and relative humidity enough to make much difference.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that I have lived in areas with low relative humidity and have never before encountered dry mouth. In fact several weeks ago the RH where we live got down to 17% during the day and no problem with dry mouth during the day.

Is it possible that many of us have enough minor mouth leakage to cause the mouth to get dry without extra moisture being supplied. There are some folks who do not use a heated humidifier. Are they the ones who seal off their mouth so well that it is not a problem?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

You are probably right that compression to say 14 cm-H2O is likely too small. (I'm not going to revisit Dr Lerner's Thermo class to estimate it)

It is common to use a water bubbler humidifier for those who are receiving oxygen too.

I would think those who keep their mouth closed and still during the night would have dry mouth. The little movements we make with our mouth emulate mastication (look it up sicko's) and active the salivary glands.

During those Santa Ana winds, I bet your humidifier tank used more water?

A minor mouth leak -- hmm: John Kerry talking about the Ukraine?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 11:29 AM)justMongo Wrote: It is common to use a water bubbler humidifier for those who are receiving oxygen too.

They sure do. I think that hospitals use liquefied oxygen for their supply which has next to zero moisture.

Quote:A minor mouth leak -- hmm: John Kerry talking about the Ukraine?

My Definition:

Minor mouth leak-a mouth leak that is small enough that it does not affect therapy or may not even show up in the leakage data.

Quote:I would think those who keep their mouth closed and still during the night would have dry mouth. The little movements we make with our mouth emulate mastication (look it up sicko's) and active the salivary glands.

I had not thought of that. Makes sense to me but then I am one of those sickos.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,266 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
  DreamStation Sleep Therapy Humidification Options (PDF) SwirlySauce 3 910 09-07-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: zellem
  Vitera humidification issue (?) jtmAZ 8 824 06-15-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  [Equipment] Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset - how do I turn off humidification? Linear Thinker 5 2,115 05-27-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Linear Thinker
Question [Equipment] P2H Humidification Mask to replace humidifier TaxFreeira 1 569 07-08-2021, 08:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  how increase humidification in Resmed airsense 10 hegel 4 1,200 03-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  DIY Supercharged humidification farnsy 8 1,881 01-31-2020, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Osiris357

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.