Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is AHI getting worse?
RE: Why is AHI getting worse?
(11-25-2012, 04:41 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You are too "young" a user to be able to post links. Try using the attachment feature.

I fixed it...

Yeah, Admins can do that. I try not to let the power go to my head. :grin:
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Paula! Any comments?

Karen
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks to me like your problem is leaks. A chinstrap should fix that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh wow. Yeah. Leaks.

You can move a graph up in the order but left click, hold, and drag it up. I moved "leaks" up to the 4th or 5th one so I could see it easily.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2012, 05:25 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-23-2012, 10:05 AM)Rosefool Wrote: No evidence of leak issues, but I tried a chin strap anyway for a while, and it made no difference.
Rosefool/Karen
some leaks are acceptable but any leak large or small if disturb your sleep ... need to be addressed
mouth leak can be a concern as allows therapy air to escape thru the mouth
when air escape ... it decrease the delivered pressure required to maintain the airways open and might causes some events to be scored and compromise the therapy
give the chinstrap another chance and also try full face mask which did not works for me but lots people using full face mask quite successfully
full face mask allows you to breathe thru nose and mouth without compromising the therapy
also find yourself another doctor who is more concerned about your concern
imo AHI is meaningless if you,re having problems with leaks as it can affect sleep quality and accuracy of the data
its normal to try several masks to find the right one ... the right mask is the key

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for responses. I will try the chinstrap again. I tried a full face mask with pressure for just a minute or so at the medical supply and couldn't get it off quickly enough; I guess I would try again if the chinstrap doesn't help. Having even a few days of improved sleep has made me realize how poor my sleep has been for years, so I am willing to try anything.

I find the leaks graph, in particular, confusing, and I do have one question: there are a lot of days with higher leaks and higher AHI. However, there are a lot of days with higher leaks and low AHI. Also, I do not have any dry mouth. In fact, the dry mouth I used to notice when getting up at night has resolved. Chronic nasal congestion is also much better with the humidifier. With this in mind, is it possible that leaks are not the problem, or the only problem? Does anyone see anything else?

Thanks. I am trying to learn about all this and I appreciate your input!

Karen
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 09:33 PM)Rosefool Wrote: Chronic nasal congestion is also much better with the humidifier. With this in mind, is it possible that leaks are not the problem, or the only problem? Does anyone see anything else?

Thanks. I am trying to learn about all this and I appreciate your input!

Karen
also you can try Neilmed sinus rinse. I don,t use SH and find the double lines confusing
your leak not at all bad shows 95% percentile 21 L/min which is quite acceptable as the S9 goes (below the 24 L/min threshold)
don,t worry about AHI for now just concentrate on sleep quality
as you get more confident and sleeping improved ... you,ll see AHI settle down nicely
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 09:33 PM)Rosefool Wrote: Thanks to everyone for responses. I will try the chinstrap again.

Again?!

Quote:Having even a few days of improved sleep has made me realize how poor my sleep has been for years, so I am willing to try anything.

I can relate to that!

Quote:I find the leaks graph, in particular, confusing,

Look at the daily leak graphs.

Quote:and I do have one question: there are a lot of days with higher leaks and higher AHI. However, there are a lot of days with higher leaks and low AHI.

When your leaks are high the machine can't accurately measure your AHI. Those AHI numbers are meaningless.

Quote:With this in mind, is it possible that leaks are not the problem, or the only problem? Does anyone see anything else?

It's possible. but you need to look at those daily leak graphs and see if there are times when your total leaks are too high.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 04:41 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You are too "young" a user to be able to post links. Try using the attachment feature.

Because it's a bİtch to attempt. After a while I gave up trying to attach a picture and just sent a link. You don't make it easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepster (and all) for your reply.

Yes, I tried a chinstrap before for about a week and it made no difference in the AHI. However, it was not a great chinstrap, so I'm going to try a better one and see. However, again, there is no consistent association between leaks and AHI. I talked to the RT at the medical supply company today and she agreed--they monitor me wirelessly and I asked her to review all my data going back to October 2nd when I started. She said my readings are all over the map, which is what SleepyHead tells me, too. She thinks I need another pressure increase.

You're right, the daily leaks graph is easier to understand. I will start running a daily report.

So, at this point I'm going to try a better (aka less comfortable!) chinstrap. I also called my doctor today, though, and requested a prescription for APAP. With the threat of my 12/17 surgery being cancelled, I don't have time to mess around. If my pressure needs are varying sometimes for non-leak reasons, then the APAP should help, right?

Thanks again.

Karen
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,994 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.