Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is CPAP capped at 20cm?
Why is CPAP capped at 20cm?
I have a Dreamstation Auto BIPAP and on the CPAP setting the highest you can go is 20cm. Yet you can go to 25cm using BIPAP or Auto BIPAP. Any clues to why they do that?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is CPAP capped at 20cm?
Total guess on my part, but I would think that damn few people can exhale comfortably at pressures over 20 cm h20
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be due to the current practice which is, if a person needs a higher pressure, a bilevel is prescribed due to the difficulty adapting to exhale at the higher pressure. Pretty much the same as TASmart. Just my opinin.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2017, 11:49 AM)TASmart Wrote: Total guess on my part, but I would think that damn few people can exhale comfortably at pressures over 20 cm h20

I guess I am Damn few people.    Big Grin  I-love-CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour, you are a special case in, oh, so many ways...
Post Reply Post Reply
As I read the OP, he has a BiPAP. In CPAP mode, it can only be set to 20 cm-water. He asks why the limit if the machine can achieve 25 in BiPAP mode.
I do not know why.

SWAG:
It may be that a continuous pressure greater than 20 cm-water may interfere with the hemodynamics of the right side of the heart.
The right side ventricle works at about 25 mm-Hg pressure. 20 cm-water is about 15 mm-Hg. Increased load on the right side might result in pulmonary hypertension and/or right side heart failure. I cannot prove this. The exercise is left to the reader to find references.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You would think If that were the case that BIPAP's would be capped at 20cm also. But I don't know, that's why I asked.  Dont-know
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Why 20cm? I don't know why 20. As you noted CPAP mode is limited to 20. I'm sure that this is to mimic CPAPs. I suspect that the blower for BiPap/BiLevel is more expensive and allows a 2nd tier for those that need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The failure mode pressure for these blowers, if they go open loop, is about 40 cm-water.
It's time limited, should fault and shutdown.
I read that in some ResMed specification.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess:
A bilevel is to provide pressure support. Unless PS > 4, you stick with a cpap with epr. So IPAP is the one that typically goes up to 25.

I think it's pretty rare to go to an EPAP over 20. Thus a cpap only goes till 20.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP capped out it's set pressure setting Diotima245 1 1,045 05-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help! cpap pressure stuck at 20cm heavysleeper123 9 6,012 02-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.