Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Change in mask...change in AHI
Question 
Change in mask...change in AHI
Hi everyone! I started using the Amara View mask this week, which I like pretty well. I have about one large leak a night, which is not waking me and I am sleeping pretty well. However...my AHI has gone from below 1 to 2.5 or higher. The events are all clustered in the hour or two before I wake up. I know I was asleep during this time, because the alarm woke me at 6 am today. This is confusing to me. I am wondering if I might need to bump up m pressure slightly.

Screen shot attached.

Any thoughts?

Chris[attachment=2302]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Change in mask...change in AHI
I had something similar when I changed from the Quattro Air to the Simplus. I bumped up my EPAP a couple of points and that fixed it. In your case it looks like the machine is running at your upper pressure limit so you probably should increase it a bit and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 07:55 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I had something similar when I changed from the Quattro Air to the Simplus. I bumped up my EPAP a couple of points and that fixed it. In your case it looks like the machine is running at your upper pressure limit so you probably should increase it a bit and see if that helps.

Any advice on how much I should raise the max? Also, should I up the min too?

Thanks.

Charlie Sue
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Charlie Sue,
Do you know your Medium and 95% pressure readings?

Let us know these numbers, so we can advise.

I can only guess, without seeing the pressure graph that your start pressure is too low.
Your max pressure should be raised.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 04:04 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Charlie Sue,
Do you know your Medium and 95% pressure readings?

Let us know these numbers, so we can advise.

I can only guess, without seeing the pressure graph that your start pressure is too low.
Your max pressure should be raised.

Opal Rose, thanks for your reply. Medium was 8.62; max 10; 95% 10. My ramp is on at 4--which I don't need. For some reason it is blanked out on the menu and I can't figure out how to change that. I don't really feel I need the ramp given my pressures already seem low compared to others. Any advice appreciated.

Charle Sue
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, then I would raise the minimum pressure to start 8.5 and max pressure to 12.
If you don't need ramp, turn it off. If you feel you may need to use ramp with a higher start pressure, then start it at 6 for 15 minutes.

The reason for asking about your medium and 90% pressures is this:
I believe the start pressure should be near or at the Medium pressure or 1 to 2cm below the 90% number. This way the APAP doesn't have far to "travel" to respond to an event.

According to the mask pressure chart you posted, the max pressure is staying at 10, so it may need to go higher. You can use these pressures for a couple weeks and adjust up or down if necessary.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 04:22 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Ok, then I would raise the minimum pressure to start 8.5 and max pressure to 12.
If you don't need ramp, turn it off. If you feel you may need to use ramp with a higher start pressure, then start it at 6 for 15 minutes.

The reason for asking about your medium and 90% pressures is this:
I believe the start pressure should be near or at the Medium pressure or 1 to 2cm below the 90% number. This way the APAP doesn't have far to "travel" to respond to an event.

According to the mask pressure chart you posted, the max pressure is staying at 10, so it may need to go higher. You can use these pressures for a couple weeks and adjust up or down if necessary.

Thanks I will give those pressures a try for a week or two and see what happens. I appreciate the recommendation and the explanation behind it. The knowledge on this board amazes me daily.

Charlie Sue

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 5 52 3 hours ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 221 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 122 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 370 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,961 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,869 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.