Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is Flow Limit very low for OA event?
Why is Flow Limit very low for OA event?
I have few OA (<25 total in two months) mostly CA and H. My AHI average last 7 days is 0.42. My question is obviously one of curiosity. See the chart Link
http://tinyurl.com/CA-OA-Chart1

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is Flow Limit very low for OA event?
Those are "frank" apneas. That's why there's no increase in the FL graph.

The FL graph is based on the overall shape of several inhalations that have just occurred. In the picture you post, the inhalation shape remains nice and round right up to when the breathing stops. The size of the inhalations is decreasing, but their shape does not change. Had the breathing not stopped, but the very small, but well shaped inhalations continued for several more breaths, your machine would likely have scored an H without any increase in the FL curve.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 02:18 PM)robysue Wrote: Those are "frank" apneas. That's why there's no increase in the FL graph.

The FL graph is based on the overall shape of several inhalations that have just occurred. In the picture you post, the inhalation shape remains nice and round right up to when the breathing stops. The size of the inhalations is decreasing, but their shape does not change. Had the breathing not stopped, but the very small, but well shaped inhalations continued for several more breaths, your machine would likely have scored an H without any increase in the FL curve.

Please explain the term Frank Apnea
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
FL is a scoring of the inhalation waveform. It flat-tops with partial obstruction. Auto machines like mine raise pressure on FL to prevent OA.
Sometimes FL does not precede an OA. The airway just collapses.

If I may presume to interpret for RobySue: A frank apnea is one that just appears without warning.
Sort of "frankly, I'm here!"

(And there is no inhalation waveform to score for waveshape)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 04:04 PM)justMongo Wrote: FL is a scoring of the inhalation waveform. It flat-tops with partial obstruction. Auto machines like mine raise pressure on FL to prevent OA.
Sometimes FL does not precede an OA. The airway just collapses.

If I may presume to interpret for RobySue: A frank apnea is one that just appears without warning.
Sort of "frankly, I'm here!"
Exactly!

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. Virtually all my OA must not be Flow limit induced. ResMed 5.5 does not show any flat toping on the flow limit wafeform where an OA is flagged for any OA I have sense I started APAP. Not sure the significance of this but I suppose with AHI < 5, I'm OK. thanks
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 04:19 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: Thanks for the info. Virtually all my OA must not be Flow limit induced. ResMed 5.5 does not show any flat toping on the flow limit wafeform where an OA is flagged for any OA I have sense I started APAP. Not sure the significance of this but I suppose with AHI < 5, I'm OK. thanks

Hi Ed1101,

Flow Limitation is, by definition, something that happens during inhalation. If there is no Flow (if there is complete apnea) then the Flow is stopped rather than merely limited.

FL may occur during hypopnea, and may occur before or after complete apnea, but cannot occur during complete apnea.

FL occurs in a partially-obstructed airway when the reduction in pressure (slight vacuum) which occurs because we are breathing in, is enough to cause the airway to partially close off even worse. As we exert greater effort, the Flow may stay the same or even be reduced. This causes the "flattening" of the shape of the Flow waveform during our inhalation.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 03:36 PM)0rangebear Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 02:18 PM)robysue Wrote: Those are "frank" apneas.

Please explain the term Frank Apnea

"frank" is a medical term meaning "obvious". there's a person on the other board who misuses the term constantly as 'sudden' and i believe RobySue picked up that misuse.

Medical Definition of frank

: clinically evident <frank pus> <frank gout>

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 499 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.