Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand new user
Brand new user
Hi. I am to begin using my CPAP machine this week. I am not sure how I will handle the pressure blowing. Any advice on how to best get used to it? Use just a short time at first? All in?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brand new user
Tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Use it and don't ever give up
In no time, CPAP becomes your best friend and something cannot live without
Practice makes perfect ...

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nursemcgee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
To help you get used to this new way of sleeping, you could wear your mask and use your machine while you read or watch tv during the evening.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.. You didn't give much information in your post as far as RX and DX info. The CPAP isn't going to do you any good sitting on the nightstand. Ya gotta go "ALL IN". every night and all night. IT might take some time to get use to it, but the more you use it the more time you might have..too live..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
nursemcgee welcome, once you get used to it you don't even notice the pressure blowing, the hardest part is getting the right mask and you may have to try a few before you get the right one. A couple of tips I always suggest for new users especially when using a full face mask, is use mask liners to save marking your face and they can help seal the mask and have the hose coming from above your head, this saves you getting tangles in the hose and will pull the mask up instead of down. Good luck and keep us updated on how you go.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the full face mask, you will not feel the "blowing" very much at all. Do not worry and do not sweat the details now. It is time to get used to wearing the mask and using the machine. Relax. Let the machine have its way with you and you will get to enjoying it. Most of us diehard hoseheads can not sleep without being hooked up to their machine.

As the old saying goes, the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, nursemcgee! I'd call the article Zonk directed you to as being excellent for a newbe. When I started and was at times frustrated, I recall reminding myself about the serious, adverse health implications of not treating apnea and that helped motive me to press on. Also, some nights are much better than others due to all sorts of factors from mask leak problems (or none) to mental state of mind when you get in bed. For me, that variability still exists. So, don't let one poor night interfere with expectations for those that follow.
David
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, nursemcgee.

Take it one day at a time and solve any problems as they pop up and before you know it you won't be able to imagine sleeping without your machine.

Good luck and sleep well,
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome nursemcgee, glad you found us here! Good advice was given when suggesting using it during the day watching tv or reading. Get used to what it will be like at night. A lot of people begin with using the ramp which will gradually increase the pressure but a lot of us end up turning that feature off after not too long.

Hope you adapt to this well and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,479 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 393 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 573 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 457 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 491 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,413 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 431 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.