Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen adapter on CPAP hose
Oxygen adapter on CPAP hose
I got an adapter with an oxygen hose port for my CPAP hose. I know that while the CPAP is on, all is well. But what about when I am awake? Do I need to take off the mask and put on the cannula? Or can I just leave the mask on?

Oh, and I put it between the hose and my mask hose. That's the right place?

This is just for a day or two, not long term. I plan on sleeping a lot anyway.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen adapter on CPAP hose
I put my tee at the H5i output. I think either end will work.
Daytime, I would switch to a nasal canula. If the CPAP machine is off, the oxygen can backflow through the H5i and blower unit; giving you less flow.

Interestingly, I just saw a heated hose for the S9/H5i that had a built-in oxygen port. That port was at the H5i end.

I'm looking for an oxygen A-B switch so I do not have to pull tubing off barbs to switch to canula on the rare occasions when I want to be on a canula.
So far, no luck.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If the CPAP is on and blowing then you do not need to change hoses. The adapter can go anywhere in line. I put mine at the machine end so I have less to get snagged up in.

Sorry to hear you need oxygen.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I was afraid I would have to take off the mask when awake. I knew it would fall downward or whatever it does. This is all "just in case" scenario. I probably will only need the O2 for a few hours.

I like to have my ducks all lined up, ya know?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2016, 06:06 PM)justMongo Wrote: I'm looking for an oxygen A-B switch so I do not have to pull tubing off barbs to switch to canula on the rare occasions when I want to be on a canula.
So far, no luck.

What you are seeking used to be available for general aviation portable oxygen systems to take aboard non-pressurized light civilian aircraft. They essentially were a wye-connector with individual valves for pilot and pax. I used a similar system aboard my Cessna Turbo Centurion when I flew above 10,000 feet.

As time went on, continuous flow wyes were phased out in favor of two-to-four port regulators with valves and oxygen optimizers (pulse systems). This would allow the maintenance of the same pressure at multiple ports and the conservation of oxygen.

You might be able to find some of these older valves at your local FBO (Fixed Base Operators) that deals with portable oxygen equipment.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2016, 09:52 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I like to have my ducks all lined up, ya know?

At least they are not cats! Good luck getting them to line up! Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2016, 10:54 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 06:06 PM)justMongo Wrote: I'm looking for an oxygen A-B switch so I do not have to pull tubing off barbs to switch to canula on the rare occasions when I want to be on a canula.
So far, no luck.

What you are seeking used to be available for general aviation portable oxygen systems to take aboard non-pressurized light civilian aircraft. They essentially were a wye-connector with individual valves for pilot and pax. I used a similar system aboard my Cessna Turbo Centurion when I flew above 10,000 feet.

As time went on, continuous flow wyes were phased out in favor of two-to-four port regulators with valves and oxygen optimizers (pulse systems). This would allow the maintenance of the same pressure at multiple ports and the conservation of oxygen.

You might be able to find some of these older valves at your local FBO (Fixed Base Operators) that deals with portable oxygen equipment.

Sounds like something we use in our fish tanks for the air pumps. You can get really good ones made of brass that last much longer and hold a seal better than the plastic ones. I have one that is a 4 way valve system. One hose coming in, four going out. Each have their own independent valve so I can have the deeper tank getting more pressure than the smaller tank. So all you'd have to do is open one and close the other.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 614 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Hose volume Willw 4 219 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 888 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 343 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 504 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,034 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.