Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is a prescription required?
RE: Why is a prescription required?
Why is a prescription required?

Let us look at when and where a prescription is not required.

What differences do we see ?

Quality, Cost ?

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know that a prescription does much for quality - it certainly raises the price. There are excellent quality medical devices, medications, etc. that do not require a prescription. For the first thing that comes to mind is Aspirin.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2016, 05:39 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Why is a prescription required?

Let us look at when and where a prescription is not required.

What differences do we see ?

Quality, Cost ?

Well here in Oz a prescription is not required for xPAP devices. Quality is the same - the Resmeds are made here after all. But cost of the hardware is totally over the top - more than double what you pay in the States. Market forces? Prescription? Just a typical example of capitalism charging what the market will bear? Who knows? I do know that there are a lot of Chinese machines turning up in our market these days. So cost goes up, quality goes down - market forces? Prescription? Who knows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Are the Chinese machines any good ?

What are the cost ? 1/10th. the local manufacture ?

Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest brand in Chinese machines is Resmart. You can search the brand and see prices are much less expensive compared to Resmed and Respironics, but keep in mind every dollar in savings goes into the DME bottom line. They are paid the same if they issue a Remstar, or a Resmart, with a difference of about $800 retail. The Resmart macines seem to work okay, although you are stuk with their inferior software to judge the efficacy. So the Chinese machines can potentially save you (or your DME) up to 2/3 the cost of the major brands. Insurance pays the same amount regardless of brand. I bet I know what the DME want's to sell you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before going into this without a sleep study I read, read, and read some more until I felt comfortable in buying my own machine. I was quoted 1,000 dollars by a local medical company. I was able to buy the same machine with mask for 505 dollars total, brand new in a sealed box.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen some advertised for AUD$875 where a name brand that does the same thing (by the specs) costs around AUD$2000 (seem to be on special at the moment.. usually $2400!). I bought an older model for AUD$1500. I got $500 back on private health insurance (as would have for any of them)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 89 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  [CPAP] Advice required regarding data Mjfbeeslaar 4 376 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 774 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 974 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 421 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep test Required/Mandatory ??? dalabera 9 742 10-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,947 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.