Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is it so difficult?
Sad 
Why is it so difficult?
I have been using my resmed auto at a setting ranging from 12-17 for close to four months. I am so frustrated trying to get a mask that fits. I need a FF mask as my mouth always opens. I have tried the quattro and quattro fx, amara, flex fit and liberty. The quattro and flex fit are the only two that don't constantly leak but both chew up the bridge of my nose despite having the top straps very loose. I was my face at night, have use the gecko pad and pad a cheek to no avail. I really don't know what to do now!!!!!!! I am a side sleeper and have tried a few different cpap pillows. The best is a pillow filled with hulls. It seems that my choices are wear a mask that leaks like crazy or wear a mask that only wakes me two or three times a night due to leaks but chew up the bridge of my nose. I am finding it increasingly difficult to continue to be motivated to use the machine!!!!! The DME has come out three times and we have gone through all of their full face masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is it so difficult?
Roxy, I hear you loud and clear. The bridge of my nose was killing me from both the ResMed Activa nasal mask and the Quattro, although I consider the Quattro a very good FFM. I am also an open mouth breather. A chin strap really didn't solve it plus the discomfort of wearing both the headgear strap and the chinstrap strap over the top of my head.
I believe it was the RT at my DME who mentioned the idea of a different kind of mask, which has been my solution. It's the Respironics FitLife, which may look scary to some because it covers the whole face. In the process, it eliminates the open mouth problem as well as the nose bridge problem because it doesn't touch the nose and one can breath with mouth closed or open and still get full pressure. It turned out to be less visually confining than either the nasal or FFM because there's no frame on either side of the nose and eyes. So, it provides full view and even allows reading or watching the tube while wearing the mask. You might want to take a look at it on one of the suppliers' websites.
As for leaks, it does tend to leak across the forehead at high pressure. The solution for leaking, which will most likely work for most any mask, came from Zimlich here on the board. Mary suggested that I get some silicone earplugs at a drugstore. Take a few and shape them into a pencil-wide roll, and place it on the mask's seal. It sounded really far out, but I tried it and it does the job.
There don't seem to be many of us who use the FitLife, but it definitely solved my problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried HPA Lanolin? It is 100% natural and won't cause any irritation. I have to use it between my nostrils at times as they get sore and irritated sometimes. It might take a bit to get used to it but you simply wipe it off in the morning. I believe it will help with the seal also. Not sure with your mask but does with my pillows. Hope this helps!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe it was the RT at my DME who mentioned the idea of a different kind of mask, which has been my solution. It's the Respironics FitLife, which may look scary to some because it covers the whole face.

Doesn't it bother you when it covers your eyes? Does the air blow into your eyes? I would think that I would feel claustrophobic

I tried lanolin in my nostrils when I tried the liberty. I found that no matter how I adjust the mask, the nasal pillows do not maintain a seal at higher pressures and when I lay on my side

Would the hybrid be a better option than liberty?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 08:29 PM)Roxy Wrote: I believe it was the RT at my DME who mentioned the idea of a different kind of mask, which has been my solution. It's the Respironics FitLife, which may look scary to some because it covers the whole face.

Doesn't it bother you when it covers your eyes? Does the air blow into your eyes? I would think that I would feel claustrophobic

I tried lanolin in my nostrils when I tried the liberty. I found that no matter how I adjust the mask, the nasal pillows do not maintain a seal at higher pressures and when I lay on my side

Would the hybrid be a better option than liberty?
Hi Roxy, I too have a problem with the bridge of my nose. I tried the FitLife mask and found it to be horrible in my situation. My pressures are 15/21 and the mask leaked really bad across the forehead. I am currently using a FlexiFit 432 by Fisher & Pakal. The Forma is also a good mask as they both fit under the chin and help keep your mouth closed. The sore on my nose appears to be getting better. I changed the face seal and the type of soap I was using to clean it. So far, this appears to have helped my problem. Good Luck!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hummingbird. It is interesting that the flexifit 432 seems to be the best for me as far as leaks. I am still dealing with the line along the bridge of my nose with the medium mask. What kind of soap did you switch to? I wonder if the large mask would put less pressure on the bridge of my nose? I don't have a large face though
Post Reply Post Reply
Roxy, I was thinking of the lanolin at the bridge where you are having the irritation.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
It is worth trying
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 07:03 PM)Roxy Wrote: The quattro and flex fit are the only two that don't constantly leak but both chew up the bridge of my nose despite having the top straps very loose.

Hi Roxy,

You said you're washing your face but are you also cleaning the mask cushion every day as well and not using any kind of lotion or facial cream in the mask area of your face?

I fixed my mask about 6 months ago (after reading a post here) by trimming a small 1/8" from the top of both sides of the stiffer inner-wall where it presses against the nose, here's the post: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ge-Quattro

It really helped me to eliminate the red irritation from my nose with my Mirage Quattro, I had actually forgotten about doing it but your post somehow prompted me to remember it.

Be careful, like B36 says in his post, and don't accidentally cut the outer skirt of the mask.

Another thing, I just learned recently (thanks Zonk!) that ResMed has changed the amount of pressure the flow generator uses when you use the Mask Fit function, do you know what your software version is?

If you have the latest software like SX474-0904 or later, you'll already get the higher air flow rate based-on your previous session's 95th percentile Leak Rate.

If you have the earlier software version like SX474-0602 then your mask fit function only delivers 10 cm of air when in Auto mode.

If you have the older software, a work-around to be able to test your mask at your much higher upper pressure is to go into the Clinician's Menu and change from Auto to CPAP mode, then set the fixed pressure to 17 cm, now go to the Mask Fit or just turn the flow generator on and lay in bed and check your mask for leaks.

After you're happy with the mask fit just go back into the Clinician Menu and switch back to Auto mode and see if you make it through the night without leaks.

Good luck and let us know if you're able to get your leakage under control.

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 09:12 PM)Roxy Wrote: Hummingbird. It is interesting that the flexifit 432 seems to be the best for me as far as leaks. I am still dealing with the line along the bridge of my nose with the medium mask. What kind of soap did you switch to? I wonder if the large mask would put less pressure on the bridge of my nose? I don't have a large face though
Hi Hummingbird. I switched to Dawn dish washing detergent. It is the original Dawn that has no anti-bacterial or scent additives. It seems to work well. I use a large mask because I have a fat head. If you have a small face, the large may cause some leak issues. Good Luck!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 442 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats
  [CPAP] First time user — is it normal that breathing out the nose is difficult? dandebruyner 9 1,231 07-23-2023, 05:23 AM
Last Post: dandebruyner
  Crazy Breathing Patterns, Difficult with CPAP Post Covid asuter060514 7 1,041 09-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Philips Dreamstation difficult to turn off fedupbeingafatlady 5 2,302 06-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Surge from ASV makes it difficult to get back to sleep Heartman 9 1,516 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Equipment] I think someone isn't happy I bought a used machine. Why should this be difficult. knix6 3 1,137 07-01-2020, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils? Hydrangea 7 1,403 12-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.