Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is mouth breathing bad?
Why is mouth breathing bad?
Maybe a dumb question, but if you are mouth breathing you are not having an apnea and that is good, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is mouth breathing bad?
https://www.healthline.com/health/nose-b...ifferences

There is more to it than below.

Quote:Nose breathing
Your nose is designed to help you breathe safely, efficiently, and properly. It can do this due to its ability to:

• Filter out foreign particles. Nasal hair filters out dust, allergens, and pollen, which helps prevent them from entering your lungs.

• Humidify inhaled air. Your nose warms and moisturizes the air you breathe in. This brings the air you inhale to body temperature, making it easier for your lungs to use.

• Produce nitric oxide. During nasal breathing, your nose releases nitric oxide (NO). NO is a vasodilator, which means it helps to widen blood vessels. This can help improve oxygen circulation in your body.
Mouth breathing
Your mouth helps you eat, drink, and talk. You can also use your mouth to breathe, but it doesn’t have many of the unique features that your nose has for this purpose.
In some cases, mouth breathing is necessary. You might need to breathe through your mouth if you have: Yet, breathing primarily through your mouth is associated with some health risks. With mouth breathing, your mouth loses moisture, which can cause dry mouth. It could also increase your risk of:
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually mouth breathers still have Apnea. All breath airflow travels the windpipe (regardless of mouth or nose inlet) where Obstructive Apnea events occur.

Secondly there are studies that say nasal breathing is healthier. Mouth breathing typically indicates nasal passage restrictions of some sort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why do you say you are not having apnea. Apnea is the soft tissue in your throat dropping down closing off your airway. That can happen with your mouth open or closed.

For instance most snoring is with an open mouth.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to see your post Rreffner

I was diagnosed about 35 years ago. I've been compliant ever since. Yet before I discovered this forum I didn't know what sleep apnea really was. My sleep docs had scared the stuffing out of me saying that if I wasn't compliant I would surely die. And if I wasn't compliant they would pull my driver's license, which would mean I couldn't work.

My story isn't important. However, I think that medical treatment for OSA is awful. My treatment has only left me feeling rested recently. Since the wonderful people here helped me so much!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
But, you are still breathing, therefore where is the apnea? I’m simply trying to make sense of this. Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Show us the OSCAR data then we can help point things out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last night. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
For you, assuming that this chart is normal for you, well you can get away with a higher leak than most because your pressure is fairly low, the vast bulk of your CA I'd throw in the SWJ, sleep wake junk, bucket, and your mouth leaks are typically minimally over high leak territory. It would be great if you could bring those down but as long as they are not causing you a problem I'd have no issue.
For reasons noted above, nasal breathing is generally better for you, but don't sweat it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 101 2,484 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 245 5 hours ago
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 77 Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 338 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 67 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 348 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 788 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.