Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is my AHI so Large with CPAP?
Gross 
Why is my AHI so Large with CPAP?
After not using my CPAP (System One) for 2 years due to mask discomfort, I'm back on it and using Sleepyhead (And Encore), I get the below message alerting me to this "HIGH" AHI of 12.3... which has been pretty typical not only since this past week, but back in 2014 also.... SH uses the term "HORRIBLE" and that I should alert my Dr... yet they were aware of this +10 AHI back then.
For those more familiar than I interpreting this, I would appreciate your thoughts.... And are the Settings too Low for example?

My Rx calls for "APAP" max 8 / min 4..... which it is set for, along with A-Flex to ease use.
The last time you used your Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex...
was last night (on Sunday, July 17, 2016)
You had an AHI of 12.30, which is considered horrible, please consult your doctor
You machine was on for 8 hours, 42 minutes and 5 seconds.
You had no major mask leaks (maximum was 10.00 L/min).
Your pressure was under 7.9cmH2O for 95% of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is my AHI so Large with CPAP?
The comments regarding therapy are editorial in nature, by the software author who is not a physician. Your results are not within generally acceptable levels of <5 AHI. Whether you need to see a doctor, or can work out the issues are kind of up to you. Can you summarize the breakdown of the AHI in terms of OA, H, CA or post some data that might let us help? http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board If posting data please provide the events, pressure, flow, and possibly leaks, flow limitations and snores if available. Your leak data appears to be pretty good. You appear to be on a fixed pressure of 8.0, and your data may suggest you need to increase the pressure if your events are obstructive in nature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree. Your AHI is on the high side and you should be able to get it lower. Your mask does not seem to be a problem and you seem to be sleeping/tolerating the CPAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much and I appreciate your insight!

Please let me know should I have missed anything......

http://imgur.com/a/d8AFs
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CA levels are much higher than your OA levels. That suggests that you are on the wrong type of machine as CPAP can't treat Central Apnea. CPAP therapy can induce some central apnea, but that does not appear to be the case here, IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the SleepyHead message and your input I contacted the Sleep Dept and they will be re-reviewing my DATA and supplying a MODEM for continual monitoring to see what the next step for me is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi marc31,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy the second time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
not sure that the modem data will give them the detail they will need. Your CA's are high enough to need looking into, not critical but should not be up there. The caution is that if you increase pressure to stop the snoring and decrease the hypopneas, you may induce more centrals, of course the centrals could be there already and not caused by CPAP, so increasing the pressure may not effect them at all.

Other will chime in that know more than I about centrals, how are you sleeping? how do you feel in the morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first began using the CPAP, I found no discernible improvement in my lethargy.... and I've only been on it now 1 week and though I thinks its to soon to tell, no changes now either.

I have faith in the Sleep Dr. and I will hear from him in a couple of days once he reviews the Data.... It will be interesting..... If the Data I provide is not enough, he can always have me come into the sleep lab for more detailed info.

I appreciate your questions... I'll post back if you would like once I know more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is always good to post back. It helps us learn and is a resource for people in the future. Yes, some actually do use the search function!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Large Leaks ejbpesca 9 943 02-04-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent? BlueSky1958 21 1,599 12-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.