Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is my AHI so erratic ?
Why is my AHI so erratic ?
I have been using the ResMed CPap  machine regularly for the past 3 months , trying different pressure ranges . It appears that at 8-10 cm H2O pressure, I can keep
the mask on for about 5-6 hours per night ( compared to only 2 hours at higher pressure range, due to great discomfort ) . While using this pressure range, I noticed that the AHI readings
fluctuated erratically each day and I could not see any regular pattern . One day , it was 0.7  the next day it could jump to 16.6 and kept at this range for a few days then down to lessthan 10.0 level !! I did not change anything : same full mask, taped mouth, same pressure range, same sleeping position : on my back) . How can you explain the causes of this erratic variation ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is my AHI so erratic ?
Your days are different. Stress levels, food intake, drink intake, medications, work, play. All that contributes.

Do not make changes too often. Wait at least 10 days between each one. Longer if you can.

Start a sleep journal. Write down events of the day, how you feel prior to sleep, etc. Then in the morning, write down how you feel, any dreams, etc.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
what mask are you using? I can sleep for over 8 hrs with my full face mask on, no discomfort and i'm running 8-14.5
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2018, 09:54 PM)tommyngo Wrote: I did not change anything : same full mask, taped mouth, same pressure range, same sleeping position : on my back) . How can you explain the causes of this erratic variation

Tommy I see you are using a full face mask and taping your mouth. I also tried taping my mouth with a FFM F-20 Airfit & Airtouch. I just want to caution you when running the humidifier the moisture inside the mask can breakdown the adhesive on the tape. It did it on mine and I came very near swallowing the tape. I still tape with nasal masks but would prefer to find a FFM instead of a nasal, as I do not want to tape at all.

Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
[Quote=Michael]

I used a Resmed Quattro air Full face mask . How do you tape your mouth ?  I taped mine using 3 pieces of tape : a central  long one placed vertically across  ( 3 inch long ) and 2 short ones
on either corner of the mouth ( 1 inch long) . In this way , there are still 2 gaps left  for emergency case of suffocating.   So far I did not have the swallowing issue at all .
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2018, 12:02 AM)matthewb Wrote: what mask are you using? I can sleep for over 8 hrs with my full face mask on, no discomfort and i'm running 8-14.5

[quote=matthewb]

I used a Resmed Quattro air Full face mask  and have only 6 hours of good sleep at the most . My pressure range : 8-10 cm
Post Reply Post Reply
[Quote=PaulaO2]

Thanks for your great suggestion  to keep an apnea diary !  But  I am so surprised to see the AHI depends on so many variables  . I would  love to read some scientific references on this dependency .
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually just use one wider piece along the closed lips. I make sure I fold over about one quarter inch on one end to be able to quickly remove if necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help a lot if you could post some charts showing the changes, and it would especially help to know what kind of events comprise your AHI. The comfort suggestions above are good pointers, but recommendations will be different for central vs obstructive apnea. #Sleepyhead is a free program and much easier for most people to interpret than ResScan. Instructions for organizing and posting charts are in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2018, 07:13 AM)tommyngo Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 12:02 AM)matthewb Wrote: what mask are you using? I can sleep for over 8 hrs with my full face mask on, no discomfort and i'm running 8-14.5

matthewb Wrote:I used a Resmed Quattro air Full face mask  and have only 6 hours of good sleep  at the most . My pressure range : 8-10 cm
I'm a mouth breather, and I have no issues, obviously everybody is different so there isn't a "one size fits all" solution. I have never needed to tape or do anything other than put the mask on and go to sleep. I have mine set so that if i'm sitting it leaks like a sieve but lying down its fine. Forehead dial is about 3-4 clicks from fully retracted, just enough to ease pressure on the bridge of the nose, and top straps just hold the pads on the forehead, side straps just tight enough to stop leaks when mask is cold, as it warms up it seals better i find. I used to have it too tight, making things uncomfortable after a few hours and i was waking up with mask and headgear lines on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 515 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Erratic flow rate jsmdz 0 257 01-27-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: jsmdz
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 254 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
Question [Treatment] Low AHI but erratic flowrates, often still fatigued sancardinal15 12 1,323 06-21-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  [Diagnosis] Erratic AHI gary w 3 507 09-10-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: clownbell
Question Erratic Leak Rates.... Patrish42 2 640 08-11-2022, 10:57 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Erratic pressure flow Alison 11 1,413 02-23-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Alison

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.