Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is my AHI worse the last few hours of sleep?
Why is my AHI worse the last few hours of sleep?
I have noticed that several nights now my AHI is much better the first 5 hours of sleep, and horrible the last couple hours.  I've attached my data from last night.  Would anybody be so kind as to take a look at tell me what you think may be causing it?  Could it be my sleeping position?  Because I usually start the night on my back, then I switch to my side?  Or is it something else probably?

Thanks Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!  I'm learning so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is my AHI worse the last few hours of sleep?
It does raise the possibility that you are more relaxed the second portion of the night thus causing an increase in flow restrictions.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be positional. People tend to tuck their chin in more when in the fetal position.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is noteworthy that nearly all of your events are at a pressure less than 9.0.  This might be a message regarding your minimum pressure setting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Possible you entered REM sleep.  Majority of REM occurs later on in the sleep cycle.  5 hours in seems about right...
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2018, 10:10 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: It could be positional. People tend to tuck their chin in more when in the fetal position.

Sleepy on my back (face up) might be best then?

(03-30-2018, 10:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It is noteworthy that nearly all of your events are at a pressure less than 9.0.  This might be a message regarding your minimum pressure setting.

Should I set my pressure range to 9.0-12.0 then?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2018, 10:00 AM)dk2011 Wrote: I have noticed that several nights now my AHI is much better the first 5 hours of sleep, and horrible the last couple hours.  I've attached my data from last night.  Would anybody be so kind as to take a look at tell me what you think may be causing it?  Could it be my sleeping position?  Because I usually start the night on my back, then I switch to my side?  Or is it something else probably?

I also have noted that my apnea events seem to occur more towards the morning. As others have noted it may be related to your sleep level being REM or non REM. I believe REM sleep tends to be more frequent towards the morning. This in turn may cause more positional changes. There is a study which found that REM sleep is a contributing factor to obstructive sleep apnea in the lateral (side) sleep position for men. So yes, it could be a combination of having more REM sleep and sleeping on your side toward morning.

OSA During REM Sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
"Should I set my pressure range to 9.0-12.0 then?"

I have looked at a number of your posted results, and would suggest a minimum pressure of 8.0 cm as a first try. What I have found helpful in SleepyHead is to mouse over each OA event. When the event kind of draws a box around it, take note on a piece of paper what the Pressure is just over the Pressure graph. It changes as you move the cursor across the screen. That is the pressure at which the apnea was initiated. Do this for each OA event. Now look at all the pressures you have recorded and compare them to a possible minimum pressure level. In your case say you are considering 8.0 cm. Now make note of how many events have a lower initiation than 8.0. That is your potential improvement if you were to set the minimum at 8.0 cm. The higher you set the minimum the more events you will catch, but at the same time the higher you push the pressure the more uncomfortable it may become. So it is a compromise decision. Like I say, I would try 8.0. Also be aware that when you reduce OA events H (hypopnea) events should reduce too. The H events are the main component of your AHI, but they are not as serious so I would focus on the OA events first.

Hope that helps some,
Post Reply Post Reply
If your going to change your minimum pressure than put it at 9cm like Sleeprider hinted at.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Strike a median between 8 and 9 if you like.

Your chart shows a lot of hypopnea & OSAs at pressures below 8-9.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 183 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.