Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dishwasher Safe!
dishwasher Safe!
Hello all,

Just a quick question, does anyone use their dishwasher to clean tubing and/or mask? I'm using a Dreamwear mask with just generic tubing I buy from an online retailer. I'm tired of hand washing and thought the dishwasher might be a faster and maybe better alternative. My only concern is temperature with regard to the material the mask is mad from.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dishwasher Safe!
Don't use the Dishwasher it will melt the mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thought the mask might be a problem! Ever had any luck with tubing?

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient, so tried the dishwasher on a few masks and hoses that I was going to discard -- using the top rack and turning the drying mechanism off.

It appeared that there was no benefit to running a near-empty dishwasher. The most unpleasant problem was the remaining soap residue and hard-water spots. I did just the plastic parts, not the cushion or headgear. As for the tubing, it was a total bust. I almost tried regular dishwashing soap but was informed that using regular soap could cause a foaming disaster.

What I do now is to use two hose plugs. Put a small amount of Control III and water in the hose, put in the plugs, shake back and forth. Rinse with clear water and air dry. I use two hoses in a weekly rotation.

For the mask and the water chamber, I use a bucket with Control III and water (a little goes a long way) and submerge the parts. Rinse and air dry.

For the headgear, I use Dawn dishwashing detergent, rinse, and air dry.

At the end of the month, I use some white vinegar in the water chamber to dissolve any mineral deposits if I am not using distilled water.

I thought of using the expensive unit with the ozone solution, but have read mixed reviews.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input......I'm retooling my thought process and will henceforth consider myself efficient!

As for the control III the warning label kind of scared me! Didn't sound very healthy so I've been using some Dawn in mild water once per week. It works well but is a pain in the empanage if you know what I mean!

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Control III is highly diluted before use and is not particularly hazardous in diluted form. Really, all you need is to clean equipment periodically. Disinfection isn't needed when equipment is not shared. I do give the humidifier chambers some extra attention as they can support a biofilm if not dried between use. I rarely clean mask and tubing, and clean the cushions weekly or twice a week. Whatever works for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Routinely run the water chamber and lid from PR SystemONE through dishwasher - at least when I decide to wash them. DO NOT do so if the tank has an aluminum plate or base lie my S-9 Respironics did. Dishwasher detergent is usually caustic and will discolor aluminum. Stainless is fine though.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 766 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Is soft cervical collar safe to use? accetableplaintain 4 1,015 06-26-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad What glue is safe to use on nasal masks? go2sleep 8 5,187 06-25-2022, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Skin Safe Memory Foam Tape? Jdubb 0 717 12-13-2021, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Jdubb
  Earplugs safe to use with CPAP? vroomvroom 8 3,524 11-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: CyberSpiff
  Oscar 1.3.0 vs. Microsoft Defender Safe Screen saltydawg2 4 761 10-19-2021, 05:49 AM
Last Post: saltydawg2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.