Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why no love for FFM?
RE: Why no love for FFM?
Mesenteria, I've resized your text to make it semi-legible but the formatting is still screwed up - sorry, it's a bit hard to fix.

Fats Drywaller Wrote:If a patient has no problem with mouth-breathing and doesn't need to resort to chin straps, etc., then "less is more".

Yes, I agree with that. But I think people are poorly advised when they resort to chin straps, cervical collars and taping their lips just to make a nasal pillows mask work. Why put unnecessary hurdles in their way when the simple solution is to try a different type of mask? I jokingly refer to the "P10 cult" but sometimes it doesn't really seem like a joke.

JesseLee Wrote:To one person that experiences one of these problems, makes it important, at least to the person that suffers.

Absolutely. The choice of a mask is very personal, and what works for me won't necessarily work for you. The mask must be a) comfortable, and b) doesn't leak. Doesn't matter what type it is - if it leaks and / or is not comfortable then try something else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Started out 17 years ago with nasal mask but chronic mouth breathing did not respond to chin strap so I ended up with a FFM after about two years and have used a FFM ever since. Whatever works best for you is the way to go.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2018, 10:03 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: ... I think people are poorly advised when they resort to chin straps, cervical collars and taping their lips just to make a nasal pillows mask work.

There seems to be a range of remedies, from reasonable to absurd, and IMO the cervical collar is reasonable, a chin strap is a regrettable necessity for some people, and mouth-taping is foolish & hazardous. One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not familiar with hybrids yet and will check them out.  They cover the mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply
So after two days of Brevida pillows, I put my Simplus FFM on and the moment I did, it felt so comfortable. I was haply to have it on. If only I had let myself sleep longer than 4 hours Smile

AHI went downt to 0.4/hour
Post Reply Post Reply
Hybrid covers the mouth and snugs up under the nose. So you get pressure through your nose and mouth but it does not go over the bridge of your nose.

They can be very effective for some, but the range of fit can be narrower for different faces. Worth a try if you get the chance.

Maybe your like me, FFM is just fine. Do what you like the most, no right or wrong. It's entirely at your discretion. And that is good.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2018, 01:23 PM)H JesseLee Wrote: Hybrid covers the mouth and snugs up under the nose. So you get pressure through your nose and mouth but it does not go over the bridge of your nose.

They can be very effective for some, but the range of fit can be narrower for different faces. Worth a try if you get the chance.

Maybe your like me, FFM is just fine. Do what you like the most, no right or wrong. It's entirely at your discretion. And that is good.

Thanks for that. Could you name a few models? I may have an option to try via insurance
Post Reply Post Reply
Amara View, Dreamwear Full Face Mask

Google "hybrid CPAP mask"

There are more than I knew about
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I think my DME carries the Amara View, so I should he able to try that. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a stomach sleeper -- I can't sleep for more than a few minutes on my back or side. Are there any stomach sleepers that use a FFM? I need something that presents the least real estate pressing against my face at night. P10 works for me. But as mentioned above, whatever works for you is best IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 530 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 384 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would love some feedback on OSCAR data kewlpewl 51 4,951 11-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: kewlpewl
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,197 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
Arrow Would love some feedback on OSCAR data esaulcatnas 3 510 08-31-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  I'd love a review of my data and/or advice, esp. re. waking up at night danielsomers 6 775 04-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Last Post: danielsomers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.