Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why would cushion size affect how well I breathe?
RE: Why would cushion size affect how well I breathe?
I have realized that I'm doing a good job of training myself to do more nose breathing. For the first half of my life, I literally couldn't breathe through my nose, due to deviated septum and too-big turbinates. I got them reduced 20 years ago, and think I still haven't learned how to breathe properly through the nose. It's hard to explain. like I can breathe through my NOSTRILS, but I'm learning there's a way to breathe through the back of my nose that feels like it gets more air. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong! who knows. 
But I don't wake up with dry mouth these days, so maybe I am doing it right, and can try out a nasal pillow. 
But just so we're talking about the same thing, are you talking about the type where the things go INSIDE your nostrils?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2022, 08:53 PM)theredheadsaid Wrote: But just so we're talking about the same thing, are you talking about the type where the things go INSIDE your nostrils?

If fitted properly, nasal pillows shouldn't "go INSIDE your nostrils".
The pillows should rest outside the nostril, with just a tiny bit inserted.

Most of us end up using a larger size pillow than what was we were originally fitted with.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding nasal pillows, I can inhale with easy with my AirFit P10 pillows but exhaling is sometimes uncomfortable and if I'm the slightest bit stuffy, unbearable. I have EPR at 3 full time. I don't have any exhaling problem with my nasal mask. Could I be having a size problem, too? My nasal pillows are Large. I have a large head (I buy my hats on line from the Big Hat Store) but my nostril size is something I've never given any thought to. I don't know why my DME person (whom I like) chose large for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
And, Charlene, if you still can't quite get any joy with your correct mask size, I'll third Sleeprider's suggestion.  I don't use them, but my dad does since starting CPAP just four years ago or so.  He says the nasal cushions really fight against any congestion or narrow passages.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well i would guess that nostril size probably goes up in proportion to nose size. I dont think i’ve seen someone with a big nose and tiny nostrils
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 265 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 364 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,795 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.