Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why would straight CPAP be preferred over auto?
RE: Why would straight CPAP be preferred over auto?

I took a look at my device setting in ResScan and found it was still set to my old S8 II machine. However, it still shows RERAs in the summaries and detailed graphs. I changed it to AirSense 10 Auto(AMER) and it appears to have no impact on the results.

The most interesting thing I noticed was that in the device options there is an additional choice for "AirSense 10 AutoSet(AMER) with RERA". I selected that option and again it had no impact on the results. It would seem that both RS and SH automatically pick up what ever data is available regardless of what the device setting is.

Could this additional choice indicate that ResMed is admitting there are two versions of the Charcoal Unisex AutoSet. One that reports RERAs and one that doesn't? Or, is it just a duplicate option to the AutoSet for Her?

BTW, I sent an e-mail to ResMed regarding the RERA reporting issue and their response was to talk with the vendor that sold me the unit. I replied with a request to escalate my inquiry to the next level and am now waiting for a response from a real person.
Post Reply Post Reply
Joanster:

I see you live in Ontario and understand the problem of trying to justify an Auto CPAP with the Ontario Assisted Devices Program. I recently decided to go with an Auto CPAP even though I knew I would not qualify for the ADP funding. I was fortunate enough to have a private insurance plan that would pay 80% of the cost, but making it work took over two months of phone calls, e-mails and letters.

To make it work I needed:
- A prescription from my doctor for an Auto CPAP.
- A letter from my doctor stating that I did not meet the ADP qualifications for an Auto CPAP.
- A letter from the ADP that they had refused to fund my purchase. (They needed the doctor's letter to determine I was ineligible.)

With that information I was able to get pre approval from my insurance company to proceed with the purchase.

However, in your case you seem very close to meeting the ADP requirements for a Auto CPAP. I hope your Doctor can come through to get you up to that magic 4cm of pressure difference in order to justify the better device.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine that I had rented from my local supplier was an Autoset model # 37065. The machine I purchased from the USA is again an Autoset, but model # 37028. The rental showed RERA events while the new one doesn't.

Perhaps there are rental / trial machines out there running the "For Her" firmware and the DMEs simply set them based on the patient's prescription? Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that some docs will prescribe CPAP as the lowest cost solution for insurance cost reasons. Could be other reasons, but a simple one is easy to understand: money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: ultimately, never found out why straight pressure was preferred. In any case, the PA said that my numbers are better than the titration, so we'll stick with an auto with a tighter range. There wasn't even any issue over my choice of machine. The Sleep Center only stocks a couple of brands, but isn't particular about what anybody gets. I have to say though - they were good on followup. They get the results from the modem and if there's a problem, they call up the patient right away and discuss how to fix it so that they are successful with their cpap therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, I have gained little from this thread. I expected to read posts directly related to the subject of the thread...NOT! It appears most posts are not related to the subject matter of this thread and I find that frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 03:06 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Update: ultimately, never found out why straight pressure was preferred. In any case, the PA said that my numbers are better than the titration, so we'll stick with an auto with a tighter range. There wasn't even any issue over my choice of machine. The Sleep Center only stocks a couple of brands, but isn't particular about what anybody gets. I have to say though - they were good on followup. They get the results from the modem and if there's a problem, they call up the patient right away and discuss how to fix it so that they are successful with their cpap therapy.
The modem only provide compliance info...

Compliance != Therapy

I would not expect them to pay attention beyond compliance. Which is basically +4 hours usage 70% of the time and perhaps an AHI below 5. If that is what you are actually getting, you are certainly not getting therapy for OSA.

You need to pay attention to the Therapy you are getting beyond the compliance to make sure you are getting the benefits to deal with the OSA.

[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 05:21 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: Unfortunately, I have gained little from this thread. I expected to read posts directly related to the subject of the thread...NOT! It appears most posts are not related to the subject matter of this thread and I find that frustrating.
Perhaps because the Dr couldn't justify what they were saying in the first place??

Perhaps start your own thread if you have questions that were not being answered. The OP's gotten what they needed.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 05:27 PM)krelvin Wrote: The modem only provide compliance info...

Compliance != Therapy

I would not expect them to pay attention beyond compliance. Which is basically +4 hours usage 70% of the time and perhaps an AHI below 5. If that is what you are actually getting, you are certainly not getting therapy for OSA.

You need to pay attention to the Therapy you are getting beyond the compliance to make sure you are getting the benefits to deal with the OSA.

I get what you are saying, but I was just impressed that they did followup! Most people never hear from their DME and simply struggle. At least these folks were trying to help someone be compliant. Not my DME however.

Reading the titration report explains one thing. Apparently the doc was focused simply on increasing oxygenation with the fewest events. My original study indicated that my oxygen level was in the low 80s often, my average being 85% (due to bradycardia). The reason why the PA was fine with the switch to an auto was because my oxygen level during titration was 91% whether at 8, 9, 10 or 11. However, my AHI was much lower on my Resmed S9 data card than at any time during the titration. Too-funny So, I'm glad I already had the data. Gives me confidence that I'm taking myself in the right direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 05:29 PM)krelvin Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 05:21 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: Unfortunately, I have gained little from this thread. I expected to read posts directly related to the subject of the thread...NOT! It appears most posts are not related to the subject matter of this thread and I find that frustrating.
Perhaps because the Dr couldn't justify what they were saying in the first place??

Perhaps start your own thread if you have questions that were not being answered. The OP's gotten what they needed.

I agree with starting your own thread. It's not fair to complain that you didn't get your questions answered when you haven't asked any.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 411 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 587 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 600 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 585 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,006 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 592 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can posture cause UARS? Should I go straight for CPAP? frigid 2 575 07-21-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: frigid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.