Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why you don't want to short your SLA battery
These things can provide incredible current into a short circuit.
[Image: 2906%20battery%20fire%20terminal%20pic%202017%20PNW.jpg]

This one was in a robot competition.  The fire was most impressive:
[Image: 2906%20batt%20fire%202017%20wk-1.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, you want to make sure nothing metallic can touch or fall on the terminals of most any type of battery.  That's how houses burn down.   Unsure
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
To say nothing of the defence lawyer in the arson case whose pants caught fire (allegedly due to a faulty e-cig battery, but who knows...)

(reported on CBC radio, no link provided)
Post Reply Post Reply

I read about that. Seems the lawyer was starting closing arguments to the jury.
Their defense to the criminal charge was "spontaneous combustion." The judge is skeptical of the spontaneous ignition of the lawyers pants.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was at school (while dinosaurs still roamed the land) a friend "acquired" some flammable materials from the chemistry lab and took them home for some extra-curricular research. Unfortunately they spontaneously combusted in his trouser pocket while on the bus home. He spent three weeks in hospital and has permanent scarring.

so while spontaneous combustion in the pants sounds funny, it's not something I'd like to try for myself.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a friend who acquired some KClO3 while in school.
He was mixing it with sugar when he burned his hand.  Seems strong oxidizers and fuel don't need an ignition source.
Post Reply Post Reply

(03-09-2017, 08:43 PM)justMongo Wrote: I had a friend who acquired some KClO3 while in school.
He was mixing it with sugar when he burned his hand.  Seems strong oxidizers and fuel don't need an ignition source.

That's nothing... I once drank about 6 ounces of pure DHMO (Dihyrdogen Monoxide - a popular solvent).  I thought I had picked up my glass of 7-UP soda.

There's nothing quite like that type of experience.  

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I once set a Cops private car on fire when I was fitting a new battery to it decades ago when I worked in a service station workshop (yes, I am that old.. I pre-date the lolly shops that are the service stations of today   Unsure )..... Accidentally jammed the spanner between the two battery terminals. 

It also doesn't pay to charge L.Ion batteries with the wrong charger/amp rate... that's why they catch fire when used in motorcycles and other things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow
I can't wait for Curly, Jack and Bill to top those war story's

Eat-popcorn
isbn-13: 978-0517588154

Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

(03-09-2017, 08:53 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: That's nothing... I once drank about 6 ounces of pure DHMO (Dihyrdogen Monoxide - a popular solvent).  I thought I had picked up my glass of 7-UP soda.

There's nothing quite like that type of experience.  

Coffee

You're lucky you didn't die! It is a colorless and odorless chemical compound and an inhalation hazard. it has been known to cause death if inhaled.

To be honest, I'm kind of hooked on it myself.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dog-Gone, dead car battery justMongo 22 3,125 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Last Post: justMongo