Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

WiFi weirdness
Okay, here's one for ya:

So we had a Charter cable guy show up a few months ago. He said there were reports of people having problems with their internet in our area and it had been getting worse. So they sent him out to track down the problem and...it was us. WE were not having any problems but everyone else in the neighborhood was. Not that it is that big a neighborhood but it apparently was that big an issue. The box where the cable attaches to the house was crammed full of splitters (all but one was theirs) and was a mess. Most of the problem, though, was the one that an electrician we had hired did. My office is against that wall and he had put a cable outlet in for me when he did the electric upgrade for the room. But he had kinda done it wrong and over time, things had gotten "noisy". So the cable guy replaced that splitter and cleaned up the ends. He said to someday call and have them send someone out to clean up that box but the problem was solved.

The next day, our internet is out. It comes back on later but I can't get anything to connect. Finally I figure it out that our IP address has changed. Fine. All is well.

About a week later, my partner says that Netflix on the desktop is all jumpy. Audio is awful and the video is stop/start. I update stuff on the computer, clean out some things. It sort of helps for a day but then is back to being just as bad. I don't watch Netflix that often so to make sure it is not just that computer, I bring it up on mine and it is just as bad. I bring it up on my laptop...and Netflix works just perfect. Not a single problem. Phone? Perfect. Tablets? Perfect.

The two hardwired desktops are slow as heck on the internet. Big images load slow, Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo, etc: all are jerky and the audio is stuttered.

Everything that is wireless is perfect. Not a single twitch.

We got the computer a wireless USB dongle and attached it yesterday. And? Perfect.

So...

WHY would the wireless be better than the wired? How is this possibly connected to the cable thing? Did the "dirty noise" bork the router somehow?

It is relatively new cables. I did switch one out for an "old" one that worked but was too short. No joy.
I switched cable ports (meaning plugged them into the other two ports).
I rebooted the modem (Cisco DPC3008) and the router (Belkin AC750) many times. Both are mine, not the cable company's.
I made sure the firmware for both were up-to-date.
Problem happens in Firefox, Chrome, and IE.
Happens on my Win10 and Win7.
Java updated (even uninstalled and re-installed on the Win7 computer).
Laptop is Win7 and updated.
Tablets/phones are Androids

Did NOT bypass router and go directly through modem. I'll do that tomorrow or tonight with my desktop.
Did NOT go totally brand new fresh out of the box cables. The one that was too short was only used a week until the correct length came in.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-04-2016 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

RE: WiFi weirdness
I had a similar problem with my Comcast connections. Solved most of the issues by replacing the router and the cable modem with a wireless router/(cable)modem unit from Netgear, and installing a repeater. A tech from Comcast did come out and replaced the powered splitter with a filtered power splitter. He also explained how to tighten all the cable connections to ensure there were no leaks or feedback.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-04-2016 09:35 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask

I've tightened all I can get to. I'm not going to open the box outside because I watched the guy struggle to close it. I guess I'll have to waste a day sitting around waiting for a cable guy to show up. Dang it.

I'm hesitant to sink money into an all in one router/modem but it may be what I do next. Would also save space on my desk!

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-04-2016 10:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sdb7802 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: built-in with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 9.5-14 C-Flex 3

Other Comments: Retired Electrical Engineer; began using cpap in 2001; FlashAir wifi card and FlashPAP app

On the desktops you could open up a command prompt and type "netstat -e" or "netstat -e -s" to check for ethernet errors. The router might have some error logging available. You could run some browser speed tests also.

But as you noted, it's really going to be a process of elimination.

I wonder if the electrician or the cable guy screwed up the grounding of your splitter. Or the ac outlet feeding your desktops.

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
05-05-2016 02:20 AM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

Splitters have operational frequency ranges. The frequency range can vary from carrier to carrier. . .I learned the hard way.

If you need to split for Internet and TV, use a 2 way splitter on the head-in feed. One line then will go directly to the cable modem (it needs the cleanest signal) and the other can go to splitter(s) for the TV. You will need to cap (terminate) any outlet port on the splitter that you don't use. Usually splitters come with a bag of termination caps.

Cable carriers can look from their end and see the signal quality of the attached devices. If you supplied you own cable modem, you can access its status page using your web browser. This will show signal quality and connections. I don't know if you can do this with carrier supplied equipment. Sometimes they lock it out.

I hope some of this may help.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
05-05-2016 07:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I've read through this thread. From what I gather, the splitters are for sending the RF cable signal to different cable TV boxes plus a DOCSIS 3 modem.
CR is correct, splitters need to have a bandpass of 2.5 GHz while some are only 1 GHz. Also, where your cable enters, the coax sheath needs to be bonded to ground as per the NEC. This may be done at the first splitter.

You have only one modem, correct? Then you have a router that has WiFi and RJ45 hardwired internet over twisted pair. Those cables need to be CAT5e.

If the internet is good over WiFi, then by elimination, it is not in the coax system; it has to be in the router or ethernet cables.
Could be QoS management of the switch in the router.

I am looking for a new router to replace my 2009 vintage Linksys that does not support IPv6. The system works because AT&T still supports IPv4 to their gateway. Toredo tunneling (encapsulation of IPv6 within IPv4) is a temporary work around; and may not be there much longer.
TL;DR Looking at current router reviews, they all look like junk.

05-06-2016 09:48 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

The splitters are to take the main cable and send it to the living room to the TV, to the office, and to the phone box. Why there are so many splitters in there, he didn't know. The box isn't that big but there were a lot of them in there. It is on the outside wall just a few feet from the office window. The one he replaced was a simple "T" but was the "wrong kind" he said. He was really nice and knew his stuff. He apologized he could not do more.

The cable going into the living room is just a wire coming up out of the floor, which I hate. So I had the electrician put in a wall box so if I moved the office, there wouldn't be a cable sticking out of the floor. Also cuts down on drafts.

The problem the electrician did was instead of trimming off the wire mesh from the coax, he just rolled it back, slipped on the collar, crimped, and called it done. It is quite possible inside connection box has the same issue. But the cable guy was getting a clear signal then. His assumption is with that one being inside, it wasn't getting the arc the others were.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-06-2016 09:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
palerider Offline

Preferred Members-

Machine: s9 vpap auto
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 18/13+

Other Comments:

(05-06-2016 09:29 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  The problem the electrician did was instead of trimming off the wire mesh from the coax, he just rolled it back, slipped on the collar, crimped, and called it done.

there's nothing electrically wrong with that termination method, it just may not be as "pretty" as trimming it.
05-06-2016 10:44 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(05-06-2016 09:29 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  The problem the electrician did was instead of trimming off the wire mesh from the coax, he just rolled it back, slipped on the collar, crimped, and called it done. It is quite possible inside connection box has the same issue. But the cable guy was getting a clear signal then. His assumption is with that one being inside, it wasn't getting the arc the others were.

The coax should be RG6. And the new compression connectors require a 1/4" strip to bare the center wire; and another 1/4" to remove the outer insulation sheath. The braided sheath is just pulled back over the cable; and a connector compressed with a tool.

This is the shortest youtube video I could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DE0lw_KDyg

Also, any cable in the house that's not connected should have a termination cap to prevent reflection.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 10:58 PM by justMongo.)
05-06-2016 10:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(05-04-2016 07:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  WHY would the wireless be better than the wired?

Because the wired connection that feeds the WiFi router is better than the other wired connections. Those poorer connections could be due to the terminal connectors, the splitters, or the type of cable (see below).

My first trouble-shooting guess would be that box because the tech noted there were problems with it and the problems you're experiencing started when he messed with it.

I would start by complaining to the cable company that all was fine until their employee disturbed it. That places the onus to fix it on them rather than you.

In my opinion a bunch of two-way splitters should be replaced with a single multi-way splitter. For example, three two-way splitters can be replaced with a single four-way splitter. This will also give the technician the opportunity to replace any old, loose, or dirty connectors with new ones. If any of the cables are the older thinner RG59 cables they are not suitable for broadband connections and are probably good only for SD (i.e. non-HD) television signals. They should be replaced with the relatively newer fatter RG6 cable, a process that I saw happening about 15 years ago when we did away with dial-up connections. RG6 cable has been around a long time. I have a 25 year old spool of it in my attic, given to me by a friend who installed cable for a living. I still have a piece of the older RG59, though, connecting my antenna to my TV. It transmits HD broadcasts just fine, but a cable technician once proved to me that it wasn't suitable for HD cable transmissions.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-08-2016 07:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Neighbor's WIFI Router DariaVader 17 2,533 05-09-2015 06:17 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Weird WiFi question fractalice 10 2,118 04-12-2015 05:21 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2