Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Sex: Male

RE: WiFi weirdness
Once when I was having some reception problems the cable tech (Charter) noticed that I had added several splitters to accommodate some added devices. He pulled them all out and added an 8 channel 0 db (no gain) distribution splitter. So now whatever signal level comes in is what each device gets, with 0 dog biscuits gain above the feeder. With that and the trimming of all excess cable lengths, the inside of my customer access box look very neat and the door shuts easily.

BTW, You need to be sure you have splitters rated for forward and backward data flow since many of the older splitters aren't up to that standard.

Paula, As for your current problem on certain parts of your system, I think you will find it's as Mongo has stated, due to a faulty connection or possibly a partial short circuit on one of the cables. Even a corroded connector or a high resistance short can perform as a diode and radiate hellish levels of RFI.
05-08-2016 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I by-passed the router and hooked L's desktop directly to the modem. She watched Netflix for several hours without a single hiccup in audio or video. She had been watching it with the wireless and it started skipping. Not as bad, but it was there. My desktop which is still hardwired to the router, is almost impossible to view anything such as video, audio, or viewing large images (like NASA image of the day) or "busy" pages.

I'll make a call to the cable company and have them clean out the box. It needs to be done anyway. I'll see if they'll also take care of the outlet here in the office, even though they didn't install it. I may still get a new router but I'll hold off for now.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-08-2016 08:15 PM
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Sound good. And that reminds me that my provider, Charter Cable, is offering a modem upgrade for free if I'll do the install. Supposedly the new modem is faster. I currently get 90 Megabits down and 10 up so I may just leave well enough alone. I've been guilty of fixing things until they're broke before.

Good luck with your tech visit. Tell him you're getting intermodulation distortion and spurious RFI radiation and see if his eyes cross.

Dude
05-08-2016 08:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(05-08-2016 07:00 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  In my opinion a bunch of two-way splitters should be replaced with a single multi-way splitter.

True dat. A tree of 2 way splitters will attenuate signal leaving the last one in the chain with low level. And it will be a lot neater.

And, yes, RG59 is NG; should be RG6 quad shield.

I still think it's after the cable modem. Since wireless is good, then wired should be good or better. That leaves me to believe possible CAT5e cable problem.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-08-2016 08:31 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

It's pretty obvious you have data leaks when you come home from work and find a huge puddle of 1's and 0's all over the floor.

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
05-09-2016 02:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(05-08-2016 08:31 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I still think it's after the cable modem. Since wireless is good, then wired should be good or better. That leaves me to believe possible CAT5e cable problem.

Or a router problem. Or some kind of RF interference from that box of splitters or something like that as a result of the tech messing with it.

I've been thinking about this and my brain was out to lunch when I was thinking it was the coax cables.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-09-2016 04:44 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

I tried new cable from router to my desktop and from router to the modem. No difference.

I went and got a new router. Figured as long as I didn't take the plastic off and was careful with it, if it didn't fix the problem I could take it back.

It wouldn't connect last night at all. I could connect directly to the modem just fine. I could reconnect the old modem just fine. But the new one wouldn't. Used the support "community" at Belkin and was suggested to factory reset the router. A brand new out of the box router? So I did and it worked. Eventually. Once it finally connected, it has worked fine. On both PCs, Netflix is speeding along. And a page I was having trouble loading is much better.

I'm going to keep the old router as a backup. Never hurts!

And of course still have Charter come out and clean up the box.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-13-2016 01:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

(05-13-2016 01:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Once it finally connected, it has worked fine. On both PCs, Netflix is speeding along. And a page I was having trouble loading is much better.

I didn't think about this until you mentioned it but I would have connection problems with Linksys routers after they got about a year old. I also had the same problem with the DSL modems. I traced the problem down to the power supplies they use. If you use the old router and it "goes south", feel it and see if it isn't unusually hot.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
05-13-2016 02:01 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

I've not had good luck with routers lasting, either. Checking the wall wart is a good idea.

In my attic I have a box of old wall warts. It comes in handy and is cheaper than having to buy one every time the need arises.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-13-2016 03:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Huh. No, not that I can remember. The only thing that has been warm when I touched it was the end of the coax cable where it attaches to the modem.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-13-2016 04:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Neighbor's WIFI Router DariaVader 17 2,526 05-09-2015 06:17 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Weird WiFi question fractalice 10 2,116 04-12-2015 05:21 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2