Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed xPAP - Remote monitoring and Remote set up
Resmed xPAP - Remote monitoring and Remote set up
I just wonder if there is any way to remotely monitor the Resmed xPAP and change the setting.
I remember that during the trial, the store could remotely change the setting of the trial machine.
On another thread, I read someone mentioned about Air 10 USB Adapter but I could not find much information about it. 
https://www.resmed.com/epn/en/healthcare...odule.html

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed xPAP - Remote monitoring and Remote set up
Hi struts,

Not really sure, but when I was in at the Sleep Clinic I did ask when I got my now Resmed Autosense that if they needed to change the settings they could do it remotely.  However, if I requested a change of setting I would have to leave the machine turned on during the day (which I will never do) and they would change the settings sometime during the day when time allowed, so it must be possible to do, however, as end users are not allowed this software.  It has to be done over the mobile phone network here.   They can also download the info on your data card if the machine is left on for them to do this.  This will not happen as I turn it off every day!
However, I have never asked them to change anything as I can do it myself and have done so, even if it meets with disapproval when they find out.  The way I looked at it is, I am not running back and forth to the clinic, nor am I leaving the machine on all day hoping they get a connection as the mobile network they use is a very poor signal out here.  So I adjust it to suit my needs and it works for me.

Why do you want to adjust a machine remotely anyway?  If it is your machine just adjust it.  As long as you know what you are doing, if you don't know what you are doing, contact your clinic.  You have a low post count, so I am assuming you are a newer user.  As far as I know the clinic can adjust the machine (if set up to do so) but they are the only ones that can adjust it this way

I wouldn't think all machines will be able to be adjusted remotely.  Some of the lower cost models may not have this built in, I do not know the answer.
All I can say is I was told the machine I had can be adjusted remotely, but only by them.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Struts,

I'm not sure your CPAP has the capability to be remotely adjusted, the link you gave in your original post appears to be related to legacy CPAP's. And the scant information provided at the link you gave doesn't really give much technical info.

However, if you do have a built in cell based modem, the machine can be adjusted remotely. Users don't have access to the software to control the machine remotely because they can do it themselves by accessing the diagnostic mode via the pushbuttons on the machine itself. If you want to adjust your machine manually (but not by remote), the manuals with instructions how to do so are available from the forum.

Here's the full poop, which only applies to Resmed and only applies to those machines with the cell based modem installed.

Resmed is based in Australia, so their machines can be imported and sold in Canada because the cell based modem meets current technical standards regarding wireless transmitters and receivers. However, Resmed is under no obligation to honor your privacy regarding distribution of your personal protected health information and the modem is the means they use to extract your sleep data. They do this automatically and without your consent! Shutting off the machine while it is not in use doesn't stop them from gathering your protected health information since the cell based modem probably operates 24/7, even without the machine being turned on.

The S10 series of Resmed CPAP's is very easily made NON-FUNCTIONAL with regard to the onboard cell based modem's operation by pulling its plug, there is a video on that big video website, search for Disassembly and modem removal of ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. This de-clawing is one of 3 methods that positively protects your privacy and your personal health information. The method outlined in the video basically removes the power connector and the data input line to the cell based modem, it's as easy as disconnecting the modems power plug! The second method involves jamming-which might be illegal in your country-I will not discuss that option on the forum. The third method involves the use of a Faraday Cage, but is unattractive to most users due to the bulkiness and aesthetics of the solution, to say nothing of denying the user from accessing the display screen and the controls or access to the SD card.

I use the jamming method-primarily because my machine is under warranty and technically it is leased for 14 months so I don't actually own it yet. So I can't open the case or do any form of electrical modifications of the unit until it reverts to my ownership in September of 2021. My 'jammer' is extremely low power (well under 1 microwatt of rf), having a detectable range of approximately 2 feet-so it is legal here in the US because it does not interfere with other cellular users ability to use their cell phones. The transmitter is so weak that it can't be detected with sophisticated tracking instruments unless the instrument is less than 2 feet away!

Finally, DO NOT rely on the 'airplane mode' to stop the Resmed machine from preventing the cell based modem from working-do we really know whether its setting can be overridden? Considering Resmend's MO, can we thrust them??!!

Once Resmed has your medical info, it can be sold to the highest bidder-to them, the collection of your medical info through the wireless cell based modem is a moneymaker or revenue source to them. This practice has become all to common in the world these days, but yet those whose privacy is violated through technology have no legal recourse against the perpetrators AND IT'S GETTING WORSE, not better.

If you actually own your CPAP I strongly recommend you simply disconnect the modem and use the buttons on the CPAP to make the changes you want. If your machine is under warranty, disconnecting the modem might violate your warranty.

Hope this helps.

ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
All the above is good info.

For my ResMed, since I only use it as my travel machine, I've not permanently disabled the modem. Instead, I have it in Airplane Mode.

For my DreamStation, the modem is removable. So I pulled out the modem and chucked it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no problem changing the setting directly myself. 
My intention is to have additional convenience of 
- helping family members to change their setting in the future
- let family members to monitor realtime my overnight breathing conditions 
  and I can do the same thing for family members

I just ordered the Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV machine and is on the way. 
During the trial of diffferent xPAP, I used SleepyHead to analyse the data from the SDCard.

The MyAir app could show very limited information, but better than nothing.
I read that the AirView can show more information than MyAir, but still less detailed than those on SDCard.
Can the user access the AirView ? I think it is only available to xPAP product and service providers.

However, if the remote monitoring is possible, it will be an added bonus feature. 
For the remote change of settting, I am sure the store can do. If the store can do it, I wonder if the user can do it also, just like the access to the clinical menu.

I did not think of the privacy concern that BB63 described, as I am more concerned about and defensive  against the privacy invasion by g00gle and fb. 
I think and hope Resmed being a medical equipment supplier, is more respectful about customers' privacy.
However, I think there is no personal information is needed to register the Resmed machine, so at best they can only collect anonymous data about breathing condition and approximate geolocation. 

Earlier, I came across an article that described how to disconnect the internal module. 

The link I posted earlier is a USB module is not a legacy cpap, as it is branded as Air 10, I assume it is a latest product, but not sure what it can do. https://www.resmed.com/epn/en/healthcare...odule.html

If remote realtime monitoring is not possible, how about local realtime monitioring with a laptop or PC 
hooked up wireless or by-wire ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2020, 04:45 PM)struts Wrote: . . .

If remote realtime monitoring is not possible, how about local realtime monitioring with a laptop or PC 
hooked up wireless or by-wire ?

Hi Struts,
AFAIK, the Airview app is restricted to DMEs and possibly physicians, not available to individuals.  If someone knows differently, please correct this.

The detailed data analyzed and reported by OSCAR (and Resscan) is only available via the SD card.  For some, there is also the possibility of using a wireless SD card, such as the Toshiba Flashair cards, but it is not always simple to get these set up.  Also, I believe there is an issue if the machine loses power or is unplugged - some re-initialization may be needed.  Some of this could be addressed if you were to have VPN access to your relative's network, or something similar.

These machines are not (thank God) network devices, so cannot be accessed like such devices, nor is there any realtime access, control, or monitoring.  The detailed data is written directly to the SD card overnight, and available the next day by extracting the card.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Something to be aware of is that these PAP manufacturers look at the DME as the customer not the patient that actually uses it. The remote access and remote monitoring you want sounds equal to the DME access. And to the best that I recall, you cannot obtain that remote access that the DMEs have. This access is exclusively for the DMEs.

A side note, if you're still using SleepyHead, the OSCAR program has far exceeded that in operation. Sleepyhead is no longer updated as far as I recall, and you might want to upgrade.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2020, 08:18 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Something to be aware of is that these PAP manufacturers look at the DME as the customer not the patient that actually uses it. The remote access and remote monitoring you want sounds equal to the DME access. And to the best that I recall, you cannot obtain that remote access that the DMEs have. This access is exclusively for the DMEs.

This is all true! Try calling Resmed as a paying customer-you'll see for yourself how much they value your business just by their attitude and the hostile phone system (glorified answering machine). For me, after spending 45 minutes and four different phone calls, I did reach a human, but they referred me to my DME, even for the most complex issues that my DME didn't have a clue about!

I have no use for a DME having access to my protected Health Information! I do not and will not allow it. I cannot open my CPAP (still under warranty and is leased/rented for the next 14 months) to defeat the cell based modem connectivity. However, I have defeated my CPAP's ability to 'call home', without violating the lease agreement or the warranty, so no one has access to my CPAP's data except me! Which is the way it should be!

Though my DME supplier believes I must buy supplies from them and that I have financial and legal obligations to them, they are sadly mistaken I believe. How dare the DME and Resmed collect personal Protected Health information without my consent or approval....and, why on Earth would they consider this practice appropriate. WT Flack!!!

Just say NO!

In closing.....in the US, we have Hipaa, a law which prohibits access to protected health information without the patients approval. However, Resmed is in Australia, so they are not required to comply with this law, which is why their CPAP's with cell based modems are defaulted to be active rather than needing the patients permission to collect and distribute protected health info. As far as the US Government is concerned, Resmed products can be imported provided they meet technical standards (UL approval, FCC laws regarding rf spectral purity, import duties/fees, FDA technical standards) etc.

Enjoy.

ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
This is one reason I like my DreamStation. The modem is removable. Removed and trashed, and I'm all set.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Need help with Pulse Oximetry monitoring results NickAsleepPol 1 436 11-14-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: NickAsleepPol
  Would like to add Pulse Oximetry to my monitoring Boreas 3 588 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Boreas
  Sleep postures monitoring Pixel Ninja 1 365 07-09-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Capnography with CPAP (home monitoring) Apnea23 2 511 06-04-2023, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is remote manipulation of CPAP data, like AHI, possible? Cam12 3 608 05-25-2023, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Sleep Tracking/Monitoring Device GoliGoli 0 484 08-01-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: GoliGoli
  xPAP replacement midwestguy 2 454 07-31-2022, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Psychotech

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.