Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wife First Night on CPAP Advice Needed
Wife First Night on CPAP Advice Needed
Hi,

I'm been at this awhile, but my wife's first night was last night.

She's using and AirSense 10 for Her with an F30i full face mask, standard tubing (unheated). Her pressures are 4-20 (data attached)

She lasted 75 minutes before she woke up and called it a night.

When I asked how it was, she said she felt like she couldn't get any air so she disconnected.

I don't have (or know) her sleep study results, I don't think her PCP gave her a copy, so I don't know that her baseline is.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DoubtFire

Brian

"I drank WHAT?" - Socrates
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wife First Night on CPAP Advice Needed
Most adults require a starting pressure of at least 7 cm to overcome the suffocating feeling. The lower pressures are mainly for adolescents.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

That is kind of what my thought was...i just need confirmation. 

Why would they Rx such a setting?

I have my own set of less than ideal answers to that....
Brian

Post Reply Post Reply
That is what people do that do not really understand the autoset.  Put it on the lowest the machine will go (4) and the highest the machine can go (20) - because it is autoset.  NO you need a starting pressure that will give her enough air to breath.

It does not look like they set EPR - exhale pressure relief, probable because they set the min to 4 and EPR would do nothing at that setting.

I would suggest Min 8 and EPR 3
You can leave the max alone unless she gets runaway high pressures.

Now I will quickly explain what this does.  The min (8) is her inhale pressure.

Her exhale pressure is the min - EPR = 5

This should make the exhale easy but give her enough oxygen to breath without stuggling for breath.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Why would they Rx such a setting? Because they believe that since it is an "Auto" machine it will automatically find the optimum therapy.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Flow Limits are at the high end of what we would like to see. BUT her settings are not designed to minimize them.

Min Pressure should be no less than 4 (machines min) + EPR (3) = 7
During her long ramp (45 minutes I believe) she is not getting effective therapy. Minimize her ramp, but since her pressures are low (nothing wrong with that) turn the ramp off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2021, 12:36 PM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: Hi,
When I asked how it was, she said she felt like she couldn't get any air so she disconnected.

At a pressure of 4cm, she would be "starved" for air. As others have said... set the minimum to 7 with EPR set to 3.
I would turn off the ramp.

Also, be sure the mask setting is set to Full Face.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an experience similar to yours. They started me out on 4-20 "just to see what happens." After three weeks they changed to 5-9.8. That is when I took more control. I felt starved for air, so changed ton minimum of 7 (based on the advice above), and have since changed to 8 on my own initiative. I feel much better. Give 7 a try with EPR of 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the help!

She went 6 hours last night with an AHI of 1.5

She's been comfortable with the 7-18 range with the RAMP and EAP settings we already had.
Brian

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 165 2 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 178 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 159 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 187 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 131 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,553 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 370 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.