Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wife having problems- still waking
Wife having problems- still waking
Anybody wanna take a look at these. Pressure is high and still having OA. To me it does not seem to increase pressure enough during OA.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wife having problems- still waking
The event count isn't high on these charts, but even so I noticed you're not using EPR. I saw some flow limits on that second chart, maybe not a big issue, but they might be a cause for waking.

Try the EPR setting of 3 Full time. See if that makes the PAP therapy any better. If she doesn't like it then reduce it or turn it back off.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2021, 12:31 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The event count isn't high on these charts, but even so I noticed you're not using EPR. I saw some flow limits on that second chart, maybe not a big issue, but they might be a cause for waking.

Try the EPR setting of 3 Full time. See if that makes the PAP therapy any better. If she doesn't like it then reduce it or turn it back off.

Thank you for you reply.  We have tried the EPR and it seems to increase the CAs. We can try again as it's been a while..
Post Reply Post Reply
The centrals will get less as she gets use to the therapy. I would not go up to 3 right away. Start with 1 and give it a couple days - if centrals stay low raise to 2 and wait to go to 3 if centrals are down. 

The point you are it becomes a balancing act between centrals and flow limits and H events. It all is going to come down where she feels best EPR 1, 2 or 3.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2021, 09:36 AM)staceyburke Wrote: The centrals will get less as she gets use to the therapy. I would not go up to 3 right away. Start with 1 and give it a couple days - if centrals stay low raise to 2 and wait to go to 3 if centrals are down. 

The point you are it becomes a balancing act between centrals and flow limits and H events. It all is going to come down where she feels best EPR 1, 2 or 3.

What do you mean by Central?

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
CA central apnea
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2021, 09:49 AM)Steve4cr Wrote: What do you mean by Central?

Thank you

There are two types of apnea event, where you stop breathing during your sleep. The first is an obstructive event, which is what most people think of when it comes to sleep apnea. This is caused when the airway collapses and you can't get enough air in, despite trying to inhale, and so you wake up to get a breath.

The second is called a central event. This is different because your brain doesn't tell you to breathe when it should as effectively. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's not low oxygen levels that usually trigger a breath, it's high levels of carbon dioxide. When you start on CPAP, and with high enough pressures, you can find that reduces the carbon dioxide levels in your blood a little too efficiently, and so your brain isn't triggered to take a breath as often, which can cause your oxygen levels to fall as it would with obstructive apnea, which is what leads to you feeling cruddy the next day.

It's not uncommon to have a few central pop up when you start therapy (or increase the pressure, or using EPR etc) and often these ease off as your body gets used to the new level of night-time ventilation with the CPAP. It's not a big problem if it's just a couple, as long as you feel well.

I, on the other hand, have central sleep apnea as my primary diagnosis, where almost all of my 80+ events a night are central because my brain just forgets I need to breathe at night, I guess! Unfortunately, CPAP isn't much good for this, and I'm waiting for my doctor to change my therapy to something more useful.

I hope that helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2021, 09:36 AM)staceyburke Wrote: The centrals will get less as she gets use to the therapy. I would not go up to 3 right away. Start with 1 and give it a couple days - if centrals stay low raise to 2 and wait to go to 3 if centrals are down. 

How is central aapnea recorded in Oscar. When I mentioned CA I was talking about CA=Clear Airway  as reported by Oscar.

Not seeing any CA  Central Apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
Clear airway and centrals are the same. A central (or clear airway) is called that because there is no obstruction. As the last poster said (much better than I can) has no blockage - the airway clear you just don’t take a breath at a normal length of time (10 seconds or longer)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2021, 10:21 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Clear airway and centrals are the same. A central (or clear airway) is called that because there is no obstruction. As the last poster said (much better than I can) has no blockage - the airway clear you just don’t take a breath at a normal length of time (10 seconds or longer)

Ok, thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 108 3 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.