Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wiki article: Oxygen feed into BiPap system
Wiki article: Oxygen feed into BiPap system
Could one of you engineers check my math here? To calculate the concentration of oxygen in CPAP diluted air

(oxygen flow rate (litres) at 100% + air volume (litres) at 21% O2) / Total air volume = oxygen concentration
therefore, at 3 litres/minute oxygen addition and assuming a total CPAP flow of 60 L/min:
(3L x 100) + (60L x 21) = 1560 / 60 L/min = 26% oxygen.
at 1 litre/minute oxygen
(1L x 100) + (60L x 21) = 1360 /60 L/min = 22.% Oxygen.

Conclusion, a 1-litre oxygen bleed into CPAP results in a 1% increase in oxygen after accounting for the CPAP dilution.

Edit to add: I just created a new Wiki for Oxygen Bleed with CPAP. I'd appreciate your ideas on how to enhance or improve this wiki. Thanks to this thread and its contributors for the idea that we needed this.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen feed into BiPap system
(03-10-2018, 07:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...
Editto add: I just created a new Wiki for Oxygen Bleed with CPAP...

Great idea; I hope I'm not the only one who is pleased and relieved that we (you) are taking this bold step.

I hope I'm not treading my clumsy combat-booted feet in somebody's garden by suggesting that we have a separate thread for this conversation.

Do you intend to use Severinghaus' formula?

SO2 = (23,400 * (pO23 + 150 * pO2)-1 + 1)-1

Is Sainsbury's calculation (Oxyhemoglobin Dissociation Curve) too complex (involved)?
Post Reply Post Reply
I, being a non-engineer type, will go duct tape my head so it doesn't explode. I'll trust y'all got this right. I soon may be adding oxygen concentrator to my list of DME products. Hence why I'm curiously following along; as best as my lil brain can that is.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just at a quick glance, the divisor of 60 should be 63. 60l + 3l = 63 liters total flow. Oxygen flow plus cpap flow.

(3L x 100) + (60L x 21) = 1560 / 63 L/min = 24.76% oxygen.

(1L x 100) + (60L x 21) = 1360 /61 L/min = 22.3% Oxygen.

Small changes. If I'm wrong please tell me.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 09:48 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I, being a non-engineer type, will go duct tape my head so it doesn't explode. I'll trust y'all got this right. I soon may be adding oxygen concentrator to my list of DME products. Hence why I'm curiously following along; as best as my lil brain can that is.

lots-o-coffee

I din'think of it before shelling out for an O2 concentrator; I'm hoping you can benefit from this ideer before you sacrifice your first-born: switch to drip instead of perk and you may get enough O2. BTW, I'm pretty sure those K-cup machines leach all the O2 out of the water... I'm still trying to figger what's left but all my probes dissolve before I kin git a reading.  : ROFL:
Post Reply Post Reply
Too-funny

No worries folks, no one in particular was harmed in trials for Nespresso Oxygen Concentrator.

I had a COPD suggested Pulmonary Function Test Friday 3/09/18, tech said off-the-record like that she didn't see great COPD progression. I have tested with same tech at my pulmonary doc's office 3 times since diagnosis for COPD was handed down. I see the doc in about 2 weeks for an official update, where I'll be asking again about oxygen as a possible new addition to help breathing, both overnight mixing it with the ASV and O2 use during the day. Retired doc said I won't need it because that "makes you look like an old person"! Oh-jeez DUCK...I like that doc so much more after he retired... Rolleyes
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 10:04 PM)JesseLee Wrote: Just at a quick glance, the divisor of 60 should be 63. 60l + 3l = 63 liters total flow. Oxygen flow plus cpap flow.

(3L x 100) + (60L x 21) = 1560 / 63 L/min = 24.76% oxygen.

(1L x 100) + (60L x 21) = 1360 /61 L/min = 22.3% Oxygen.

Small changes. If I'm wrong please tell me.

Correct!  Thanks!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 09:07 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(03-10-2018, 07:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...
Editto add: I just created a new Wiki for Oxygen Bleed with CPAP...

Great idea; I hope I'm not the only one who is pleased and relieved that we (you) are taking this bold step.

I hope I'm not treading my clumsy combat-booted feet in somebody's garden by suggesting that we have a separate thread for this conversation.

Do you intend to use Severinghaus' formula?

SO2 = (23,400 * (pO23 + 150 * pO2)-1 + 1)-1

Is Sainsbury's calculation (Oxyhemoglobin Dissociation Curve) too complex (involved)?

I'm not familiar with the Sainsbury calculation, but will research it.  I'm not a medical professional, and the formula I proposed comes from my air quality modeling background to determine the concentration of a mixture.  Let me see if I can figure out this formula, and I'll add it once it makes sense and I'm comfortable with it.

Part of my interest in developing the wiki is to put it out on the web that oxygen bleeds into a CPAP/BPAP circuit are highly diluted, and may not have the intended therapeutic impact at low bleed rates. This is unlike applying O2 via a canula or nasal prongs. XPAP has very high exhaust rates, that are pressure dependent. I may include some charts to show what these anticipated flow rates are. This flow rate curve is from the Resmed Swift FX mask which has a lower flow rate than a full face mask.

[Image: SwiftFX-chart_zps1a3bc596.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I made some pretty substantial changes to the Wiki.  Appreciate the input from this group.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP 

The revisions incorporate the correction by JesseLee, and the calculations are now based on a much lower flow rate based on a Resmed Table that shows several masks and shows the relationship of design flow and pressure.  Lots of formatting changes and improved explanations.  The calculations section now looks like this: 

The equation to calculate concentration from flow is:
(oxygen flow rate (litres) at 100% O2) + (air volume (litres) at 21% O2)) / Total air volume = oxygen concentration Percent in circuit 
therefore:
at 1 litres/minute oxygen addition at 100% and assuming a total CPAP flow of 30 L/min:
(1-L/min x 100) + (30-L/min x 21) = 730/31-L/min = 23.55% Oxygen.

at 3 litre/minute oxygen at 100% and assuming a total CPAP flow of 30 L/min:
(3-L/min x 100) + (30-L/min x 21) = 930/33 L/min = 28.18% oxygen.

Any variable can be changed based on available data. If the flow rate is 40 L/min from the CPAP, the oxygen concentrations will be lower. If leaks are present or pressure results in a higher average vent-rate, the oxygen concentrations will be lower.
For oxygen concentrators, it is important to use the oxygen percent output by the concentrator. While bottle oxygen is pure at 100% oxygen, a concentrator may put provide a concentration of 75% to 80%. The proper value can be determined from the machine specifications and input to the formula.

[Image: Resmed_Pressure_vs_Flow.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
like Thanks for the nice info post on Pressure vs Flow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,357 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 682 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.