Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Min pressure change
Min pressure change
Hello, so far I've been using the cpap and all my data and graphs look great. I'm currently running a pressure of 4 to 20. Pressure is at 4 before I sleep and feels a bit like suffocating but I'm still able to sleep, however, my pressure is at 6 in the morning and that feels relaxing and perfect, not suffocating at all. So I went into the clinicians menu and set the auto min to 6. Let me know if anyone thinks this is a bad idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Min pressure change
I think that it is a great idea. Good going. Keep an eye on your data and how you feel to make sure that nothing untoward is happening but it should not be. This advice as a just in case.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rx77310,
If it is more comfortable for you, it’s great that you changed it.
A lot of people feel like they are being suffocated at a pressure of 4.
Keep up the good work and let us know how you do since you made the change.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect they have a pressure of 4 because these units are used by children as well as adults. Most adults seem far more comfortable at 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect that they just think: we will just leave it wide open and look at where the data says we should be. I would be willing to bet that many RTs do not even think of the fact that 4cm pressure may actually supply too little air for some people. They just figure that it is more than normal and so should be enough without thinking about the fact that the CPAP is regulating the amount of air available by the pressure.

That kind of thinking linked with the Rt's feeling (my guess) that lower pressures will make it less likely that the patient will not like it and discontinue the therapy, could be reasons that the low pressure is left at 4 cm. Of course that also means that there is one less thing they must adjust.

I have run into some really bum RTs concerning CPAP at my DME. On the other hand there have been a number of RTs on this forum who seemed like they used their head for something other than an ornament and had intelligent things to say and apparently wanted to hear other's opinions relating to some things about CPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have mine set at a start of 4 ramping up to 6. I also felt the suffocating feeling. Now I am at a start of 7, ramping to 9.5 (adjusted by the sleep tech) and I feel so much better. I am not an expert but the feeling of suffocating seems less than ideal. And my AHI is way down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 12:32 AM)chill Wrote: I have mine set at a start of 4 ramping up to 6. I also felt the suffocating feeling. Now I am at a start of 7, ramping to 9.5 (adjusted by the sleep tech) and I feel so much better. I am not an expert but the feeling of suffocating seems less than ideal. And my AHI is way down.

Glad that your sleep tech made adjustments for you.
I was originally sent home with an APAP set at 4-20 too. It's not ideal. Most doctors won't take the time to write a script with the correct pressure range, and the sleep technicians are hesitant to make changes, so they leave it to start at 4. Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 366 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 362 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.