Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will AHI Of 1-4 Per Hour Still Bag You Out?
Will AHI Of 1-4 Per Hour Still Bag You Out?
I am getting sleep in 2 and 3 hour chunks, for a total of 6-8 hours per night. I am waking up without the horrible head, but I am still groggy and tired.

Will the few AHI per hour I am getting still *uck me up?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will AHI Of 1-4 Per Hour Still Bag You Out?
Are you just getting started out? It took me quite a while to feel better. My AHI hovers around 1 and I feel excellent these days.

AHI <5 is considered "successful treatment." Some people find it helpful to go after AHI aggressively after reaching that milestone, some don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been at it probably 6-8 weeks...
Post Reply Post Reply
and how many years are you making up for, and how much damage to recover from? Some people have a high RDI even when AHI is down; AHI may not be telling the entire story ---- but give it a chance Smile Your body has some renegotiating with the endocrine systems to do, and perhaps several micro or major issues to deal with as a result of (x) years without good quality sleep.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 06:06 PM)player Wrote: I have been at it probably 6-8 weeks...

You are probably at the point where you have to look at some software to see what is happening and assist you in fine tuning, ... whatever kind of equipment you are running. It may tell you what is really going on, or not, either way, lowering it is a possibility.

You'll get out of this what you put into it, if you need help, we'll guide you, or you can hire someone, or do it yourself. I'd be trying to get it down in the 1-2 range but technically your sound <5.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am looking at Sleepyhead, but I am not understanding the graphs or the time breakdown with the circle on the left. I get the basics of the circle, but I am getting very little from the graphs, like clusters, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 05:29 PM)player Wrote: I am getting sleep in 2 and 3 hour chunks, for a total of 6-8 hours per night. I am waking up without the horrible head, but I am still groggy and tired.

Will the few AHI per hour I am getting still *uck me up?

I feel like crap if my RDI (a more useful measurement) gets anywhere near or over 0.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 01:09 AM)player Wrote: I am looking at Sleepyhead, but I am not understanding the graphs or the time breakdown with the circle on the left. I get the basics of the circle, but I am getting very little from the graphs, like clusters, etc.

I may be underutilizing my SleepyHead information... Mainly I go to the daily tab, look at my AHI, and look at the events graph compared to the pressure graph. I try to figure out if a particular low or high pressure in my range is linked to events (and what type of events), or if pressure changes are linked to events.

What I have found over the past week is I needed a narrower pressure range. Most of my events the past 2 weeks are flagged as CA, and there were very few HA or OA, sometimes none.

I started both narrowing and lowering my range, and my CA's have been coming down. Mostly they are limited to a narrow cluster at sleep onset in the 20-40 minute range after turning on the machine. Sometimes a few in the hour before waking, sometimes a few scattered in the middle.

I also look at the events tab under that daily tab - to see the durations of the events. Those have been coming down too. If you click on the triangle in front of an event heading, it will expand and list the events, times, and durations. if most of the events are 10-20 seconds, but one was 60 seconds, I'll concentrate on that one. You can click on the event and it will take you to that point in the graphs.

In the beginning I was chasing the pressure changes themselves. I thought if the machine was constantly riding the top of the range, that I needed to increase the range. Then I put that information back together with the type of event, and realized for CA's increasing the pressure doesn't help.

At this point, leak info and flow limit info isn't really contributing anything, but might later. Inspiration/expiration/tidal I don't use at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 01:09 AM)player Wrote: I am looking at Sleepyhead, but I am not understanding the graphs or the time breakdown with the circle on the left. I get the basics of the circle, but I am getting very little from the graphs, like clusters, etc.

Here are links to help in understanding Sleepyhead and its use:
Sleep Disorder Glossary
http://sleepyhead.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...p/Glossary

Sleepyhead Beginner's Guide
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2#pid73182

Sleepyhead Tips and Tricks
http://sleepyhead.sourceforge.net/wiki/i..._Shortcuts

I hope they may help you.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 09:07 AM)Terry Wrote: I feel like crap if my RDI (a more useful measurement) gets anywhere near or over 0.5.

Other than a sleep study, where are you getting the RDI measurement from?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Events per hour Trouthead 3 265 02-02-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Dreamstation 2 shuts off every hour. ekirtz 49 4,016 01-07-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Waking up every hour newtothis1 15 884 12-31-2023, 04:01 PM
Last Post: newtothis1
  High Apnea events per hour Johnjr 5 528 11-30-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Waking up at 1 hour mark Brucpap 3 631 04-09-2023, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Brucpap
  [CPAP] 53 CA events in an hour? Never seen this before dhol4 3 863 07-15-2022, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Using BIPAP since 11/2020 and AHI are averaging 23 per hour over the last year mkmb606 4 851 03-25-2022, 10:28 PM
Last Post: mkmb606

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.