Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study
Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study
Happy New Year Friends. 

I owe such a debt to this group for getting CPAP to work for me. Had I relied only on the information I received from the Apnea professionals I sought out and was referred to my apnea problems would never have been resolved. T H A N K   Y O U ! ! !

Now for a rather specific question:

I have a friend who is insured by CIGNA. I suspect she has Sleep Apnea but she does not want to go in for a sleep study due to the the current COVID situation.

Her doctor has said he could prescribe a home sleep study. Which I understand is done with a CPAP machine with a pulse oximeter attached.

Assuming the study shows she suffers from sleep apnea, my question is, would the results from such a study and a doctors prescription be enough to get CIGNA to pay for her to Apnea machine?

Thanks in Advance for your experience in this matter.

Chitlom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study
Doctors are usually in touch with different insurance carriers and know if a home study might be covered, but the best thing to do would have your friend call Cigna and ask them directly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had CIGNA (until a few days ago) and 2 years ago they did cover the home sleep test but at that time I did Not get a CPAP machine becasue I had not met my deducible and would have had to pay $2,200 ( thats what they quote me then) out of my pocket. recently my Primary highly suggested I get the machine so I revisited the Sleep guys and mentioned to the the cost, they said " Why didnt you just buy your own? heres a perscription and I suggest you use this site to make your choice on machine" - so I did. At this time I feel that was a better choice as I dont have to Report my usage or other requirements by the insurance. - Things may have changed with CIGNA since my initial vist or you may have a differnt plan so you really should contact them. - I thought about checking to see if my purchase could be applied towards the co-pay, but in my circumstance it wouldnt matter since I was changing to a new insuance within 2 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most insurance companies prefer the savings of a home sleep study. The purpose of any study is to adequately document sleep apnea to justify expense of CPAP. It is also a nearly certain way of ending up with a prescription for auto CPAP. Medicare is the most strident in requiring PSG analysis, but aside from that most insurance will pay for a home study and accept the results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 129 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.