Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will I die if I bump my head?
Will I die if I bump my head?
If I sleep on my back, I cannot breathe at all. If I accidentally turn onto my back while sleeping, I wake up in panic, gasping for air, and my heart pounding in my chest.

What will happen if I have a minor accident where I get knocked unconscious? Odds are, I will land on my back. I am worried I will be unable to breathe while unconscious, and suffocate before I regain consciousness.

Am I essentially walking around with a glass skull?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will I die if I bump my head?
Part of the issue you're dealing with on the back sleeping and panic, is that your setting of 4 is too low to deliver enough air, and highly likely too low to supply the air pressure needed to keep your airway open. Also, note that while sleeping on your back, that's where gravity has the most pull on your throat and attempts the hardest to close the airway.

I cannot offer suggestions on "what if" scenarios. There's far too many variables to discuss all of them. I do know that our bodies have built in mechanisms that fight like mad to keep us alive, so I'm pretty sure that if you're in an accident, it's less likely than you think to be fatal.

Let's however focus on what you can control. Change that setting and see if things improve. Get these things: download OSCAR and see your own sleep data. Next, get the CPAP Setup Manual for your exact machine to edit the settings in the clinician mode. Most machines enter this mode when you push the Home button and the control knob for about 5 seconds.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rodor, I agree you probably need a minimum pressure of 8.0. The sense of being unable to breathe when on your back is also known as positional apnea. This can occur when your head and neck become misaligned in a way that cuts off your airway. You can simulate this while sitting comfortably in a chair, and letting your chin fall to your chest. If you notice a significant increase in effort to breath as your chin tucks, there is an easy way to fix that. Many members here use a soft cervical collar to keep their airway aligned and prevent the problem you are describing Here is a link to a wiki that describes the problem and our preferred solution. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears that you may be suffering from the added stress of considering "what if" scenarios which are definitely not optimal for your health.

If you are that worried about having an accident and falling unconscious, you may wish to explore the use of one of those senior citizen amulets with the built-in fall sensor. If you do not respond after the device is triggered, the vendor will send help.

Best wishes.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 341 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Should I bump up my pressure even more? BobFromAccounting 7 436 02-16-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 484 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 725 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,160 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 608 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.