Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will I need humidifier in the tropics?
RE: Will I need humidifier in the tropics?
I would recommend that you try a little nasal lubricating gel like Secaris or Rhinaris on the end of a cotton swab. Swab the inside of each nostril before bed, and it'll help keep things lubricated for most of the night. I even use this with my humidifier all the time. If you can't take your humidifier with you it would be good insurance to pack a tube of this stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
I took my humdifier for a 2 week trip to Tahiti. I was glad i had it, because like other people have said depending on your room and whether it has AC or not, can make a difference in the humidity. The interisland airlines in Tahiti has significant weight restrictions, but chooseing to leave other stuff else behind to have the extra 2-3 pounds, if that, for the humidifier was worth it for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have just been reminded of this thread that I started a long time ago. Just to round things off I should say that I didn't take my humidifier to the Phillipines and had no problems at all. I was really glad I saved the weight and luggage space.

Furthermore I haven't used the humidifier since then and now wish I had saved my money and not bought it. It also reduces the hassle of CPAP by not having to wash it each day and refill it each evening.

For anyone in the trial stages before buying I would recommend trying without the humidifier and see how you go before possibly spending money on one uneccesarily.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the update, BlueDevil.

Yep, I'm also one of those who can get along just fine without a humidifier. Good advice to try it without first to see if you actually needs it (before you spend money on one).

Sleep-well
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a hybrid approach. I always use my humidifier at home but (depending on where I am traveling) don't always use it when traveling. Camping, other adventure trips and international travel are all situations where I don't. I've had no problems going without the humidifier for periods of up to two weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me cannot use CPAP without the humidifier
Poor my nose cannot cope to humidify the extra air on its own
The humidifier is not only for comfort but also essential part of the treatment
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in the tropics too. Use the humidifier year round because the bedroom is kept at 35-48% humidity year round. (prevents the state flower from growing indoors. Mildew.)

Tongue
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to travel a lot when I first got my CPAP five years ago - I got tired of lugging the big thing around so I bought a mini one that I could stick in my carry on - the Goodnight then the smallest available. I found it was a trade off - I sometimes missed the humidifier but felt it was not an issue unless going for more than two weeks. I now have the S9 which is smaller than the old Goodnight. However it has a big brick of a power supply. If I am using a carry-on I just take the unit and leave the humidifier at home.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 320 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 787 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 516 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.