Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will OSCAR install and work on Debian 10 based distros?
Question 
Will OSCAR install and work on Debian 10 based distros?
So now that the new version of Debian, Debian 10 called Buster,  has come out; many Linux distributions are coming out with new versions based on it.
Will Oscar install and work on these?
Someone said something about Ubuntu 18 but I do not use Ubuntu and never will so I do not keep up with the versions of it.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will Oscar install and work on Debian 10 based distros?
I haven't done the upgrade to Buster while I've been in the middle of working on OSCAR. I think the Debian 9 version should work on 10 unless some file names have changed. There will be a newer deb in the next release that will install using the apt instead of sudo dpkg, with less problems. Compiling from source will work once the dependencies are satisfied ( I should put together that list...).

Right now, you need to d/l the deb package and then - while logged in to your user account - NOT root! - install it with "sudo dpkg -i the-filename.deb"
This is not optimal, has caused confusion and problems, and will be changed for the next release of OSCAR.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply and the news about the next release. I decided to try installation on a spare computer running MX19-X64 which is based on Debian 10 Buster.
The only problem I encountered was an unmet dependency. It needed libqt5serialport5. I installed that and it seems to be working fine.

I look forward to the next release when it comes out. 

Pleasant dreams until then. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2019, 08:41 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I haven't done the upgrade to Buster while I've been in the middle of working on OSCAR. I think the Debian 9 version should work on 10 unless some file names have changed. There will be a newer deb in the next release that will install using the apt instead of sudo dpkg, with less problems. 

May I request that this "install via apt" feature be tested on modern x86 Chromebooks. These devices can run a Linux container under ChromeOS, code named Crostini. At some point, many different Linux distributions will be supported, but at the moment, the default container is Debian 9.

I have installed a previous version of the Debian version of Oscar on Crostini/ChromeOS, and the only issue was due to the install being from a .deb.
I believe this would be a useful platform to run Oscar on, for a very small additional effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I had a Chromebook...

But if you got the .deb to install, the apt version should, also.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2019, 07:24 PM)pholynyk Wrote: If I had a Chromebook...

But if you got the .deb to install, the apt version should, also.
And I'm sure that when you release the next version to work on Debian, it will also work on Crostini, and the install via apt will be an improvement. 
But there's a difference between saying it works, and saying it's supported on a platform. Is this new version expected to be weeks, months, or years away?
I'll try it out at that point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just like Debian, it will be released when it's ready
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 51 Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,391 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
Sad Oscar 1.5.1 Doesn't work on Somoma 14.3.1 biyahero 9 388 02-28-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: biyahero
Question Is there a way of formatting a 64gb SD card to work with the AirCurve 10? niurefine 4 608 01-09-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Failed drive, now cannot install or uninstall Oscar jmac862 8 741 01-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SGKent
  Can't install Oscar. Ficklid22 14 1,576 11-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  F Buttons dont work Dugy40 11 1,298 08-03-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Dugy40

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.