Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will a 20 volt DC converter work with the S9?
Will a 20 volt DC converter work with the S9?
I have a 90 watt 12vt DC to 20volt dc converter; stabilized and all that. Will the S9 operate on 20 volts rather than 24? Has anyone done so? I'm desperate to be able to go camping and my tether to 120 volts is raining on my parade, and the cost of a new dc converter is prohibitive for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will a 20 volt DC converter work with the S9?
Unfortunately, the S9 requires 24V supplied through an odd three conductor coaxial plug. It has a center pin, an inner sleeve, and an outer sleeve. Power is on the two sleeves, and I suspect the inner pin identifies the power rating of the power adapter. My old Lenovo T61 laptop has a similar plug. And an old Dell laptop I found, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2016, 10:27 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Unfortunately, the S9 requires 24V supplied through an odd three conductor coaxial plug. It has a center pin, an inner sleeve, and an outer sleeve. Power is on the two sleeves, and I suspect the inner pin identifies the power rating of the power adapter. My old Lenovo T61 laptop has a similar plug. And an old Dell laptop I found, too.

In fact the converter I have is a Lind de2045-1320 DC power adapter for Dell and Inspiron laptops.

Is the unfortunate part that it is 20v and not 24 or the odd plug? I thought perhaps some of you may have tried the 20v power adapter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess the unfortunate part is that we don't know the exact function of the center pin, and we don't care to risk our nighttime companions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2016, 11:17 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I guess the unfortunate part is that we don't know the exact function of the center pin, and we don't care to risk our nighttime companions.

I understand perfectly. I feel very much the same way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I do not think it's coaxial; but 3 pins and a shell.
The actual plug being a KPPX-3P
[Image: KPPX-3P.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops. Thanks for the correction, jM. I wonder why they changed to the coaxial plug for the A10.

Does anybody know the function of that third pin, the skinny one?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2016, 06:21 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Does anybody know the function of that third pin, the skinny one?

So ResMed can suck more money out of their customers.

They make it so you have to buy THEIR hundred dollar 24 v converter as opposed to just hooking up a perfectly good 24 v source which they may already have or which would be better suited to the pt's needs or task.

Yes, I have a great deal of contempt for ResMed over this issue. But no more than ResMed shows to their customers when they pull crap like this.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2016, 07:20 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(02-27-2016, 06:21 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Does anybody know the function of that third pin, the skinny one?

So ResMed can suck more money out of their customers.

Well, this connector is a standard one and Resmed doesn't make it themselves, so it must have some other use. I'm not saying that they don't want to suck customers our of their money, just that it is not a bespoke one of a kind connector.

Usually in 3 pin connectors the third one is connected to ground. See yer standard 3 pin wall plug for instance.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is no "ground" per se. That is, there is no "Earth" like there is on a 3 prong AC line plug.
Plus, in house wiring, the ground conductor must be capable of carrying the same current as the hot.
i.e. -- in a house, 20 Ampere circuit, the hot ,neutral and ground are all 12 gauge wire.

I believe it works as 1 fat pin for power. One fat pin as the return.
The "skinny" pin is some sort of sense pin. Note it's limited current capacity.
The shell is connected to a braided shield for EMI suppression.
We have measured Voltages on these pins in old threads.

[Image: KPP.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 77 11 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 623 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  12 volt battery adapter for Philips Respironics CPAP DreamStation Tech6 9 954 09-04-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Apneaway
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,371 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  RESMED S9 Smart Stop does not work Taxifahrt 20 13,321 05-14-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Patt1
  High AHI, Extreme Fatigue, Cannot get CPAP or BiPap to work exchanged 2 599 04-28-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: exchanged

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.