Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will a cervical collar help me?
Will a cervical collar help me?
Couple things I've noticed about my apnea. If I sleep on my back, with my neck straight, it's terrible. I can't get any restful sleep.

If I sleep on my side, it's much better, but not perfect. I may be tucking my chin in and hindering my ability to breathe. I use a Sleepweaver Elan mask, and I use a velcro strap to keep my mouth closed, so I'm totally breathing through my nose with my CPAP.

I am without insurance and can't afford a new sleep study. I have noticed people saying a cervical collar helped to prevent obstruction and improved their quality of sleep.

Does it sound like I may be a good candidate for that? Is anyone like me in how their obstruction while flat on your back is worse? Did a collar help if you slept on your side or on your back?

One last thing: The first time I really noticed my apnea, before I was officially diagnosed, was an issue I woke up in a panic because I could not breathe. It was as if my tongue and my nasal passage had sealed up my air passsages and were stuck there not allowing me to breathe.

I was so scared I literally jumped out of bed feeling like I was going to suffocate, and before I made it a couple feet it opened back up and I could breathe.

Any insight into how to address this kind of apnea? I've been on CPAP for like 8 years, but it really has been up and down. In the last 8 years I can count on my hands the number of mornings where I woke up refreshed and obviously well-rested.

thanks in advance for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will a cervical collar help me?
It's normal for Apnea to be worse on your back for many people. The Soft Cervical Collar does help prevent chin tucking and also helps with preventing the jaw to drop open causing leaks. You can pick one up on line for $10 or so. I use one and it's really helped me.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
We have seen improvement in many people with the use of a cervical collar. I know money is tight, but you can purchase a fully data capable new auto CPAP on Amazon for a fraction of a sleep study cost. Either the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset will give you the kind of feedback you need to know exactly where you stand with therapy. Some call it a nightly sleep test. Note prices vary day to day, so wait until you see a good price (they are high right now).

It also might help to look into your current settings and increase pressure if you know you are having obstructions. For a cervical collar a loose fit is good enough.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was a regular back sleeper.

Yes, OSA is worse sleeping supine. These days, I wear a cervical collar and try to fall asleep on my left side. I do find I may wake up on my back and at times, do awake to slight purr of air past my lips using the P10.

However my numbers are mostly below 1 now and my energy levels are up so I am happy with that.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
YES to the cervical collar.  I didn't have obstruction before using the full face mask and once I started wearing the collar, the obstructions went to zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a cervical collar also to prevent leaks. Do fine with it on my side but more leaks when on my back. Before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I sometimes could not exhale if lying on my back. I still don't sleep on my back very often--have more leaks than when on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ABC123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and the soft cervical collar.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 220 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 533 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 371 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.