Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Will sleeping on my stomach help my apnea?
Will sleeping on my stomach help my apnea?
Hello, I have both regular and central sleep apnea. I was given a bi-pap machine but the pressure was so high I couldn't use it. So I just take my chances and don't use one. Today I was thinking I wonder if my apnea is so bad because I sleep on my back. I used to sleep on my stomach and don't believe I had apnea then. Can someone tell me if I start sleeping on my stomach again will it help my apnea? I pray it will. Any advice you can give me will be most appreciated! God Bless You All!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Will sleeping on my stomach help my apnea?
I cannot really tell you if that is true or not. But very often apnea is lessened by sleeping on your side, rather than your back. Back, side, front,,, no matter what you do have Sleep Apnea, and you owe it to your cute little body to do something about it before it destroys your health.

If you were given a bi-pap machine and the pressure was so high you couldn't use it, then I question the supplier that failed to work with you to find an easy, comfortable program for your specific needs. It can be done, but it will require your commitment to doing it.

If you decide to give it a go, we are here to help you figure all this out. Let us know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Naunee Cynde,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you will re-consider using your machine to treat your sleep apnea.
Hang in there for more responses to your post. Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

Sleeping on your stomach might have an effect on your obstructive apnea, but won't make any difference at all to your centrals. As the others have said using the machine is really the only way to treat apnea. If your pressures were so high, it might be possible to start at a lower sub-therapeutic pressure and work your way up to the required pressure. It's amazing how much your body will adapt if you take things slowly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a look at your sleep study....it will show how many apneas you have when you sleep on your stomach, sides and back. Chances are you slept on your stomach during your sleep study. That should answer your question.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all of you who answered my post. To the last person webbie73, I used to sleep on my stomach when I was younger but after my granddaughter was born that changed because she slept on my chest until she was 6 years old. Since then I have always slept on my back. I'm getting ready to try to go back to sleeping on my stomach. I'll let you know how it goes. God bless you all!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 10:55 PM)Naunee Cynde Wrote: Thanks to all of you who answered my post. To the last person webbie73, I used to sleep on my stomach when I was younger but after my granddaughter was born that changed because she slept on my chest until she was 6 years old. Since then I have always slept on my back. I'm getting ready to try to go back to sleeping on my stomach. I'll let you know how it goes. God bless you all!

Maine Cynde,
Sleeping on your stomach may help, but isn't going to change the results of a sleep study, which obviously showed you have sleep apnea since you were given a Bipap with a setting 18.

Did you get a copy of your sleep study? I hope you will reconsider using your machine to treat your apnea. I know there are folk here that can help you with your settings to make it an easier transition for you, but you will need to provide some information as to what your sleep study results were.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Naunee Cyndee,
Greetings and Welcome. Obviously are concerned about your wellbeing as you came to the board to ask about the stomach sleeping. I am a stomach sleeper and I still have apnea. For me my worse number of episodes is on my left side. So without your sleep study there isn't much way to know, though most are worse on their back.

You are apparently a woman of faith. Please prayerfully consider, trying to get help from you doctor to get back into using a cap/bipap etc, in a way that can ease you into it. I know sometimes there are financial, personal, medical issues that can make it hard for us to be our own advocates, or to get the help we need from our doctors. There are ways to adapt more gently than it sounds like you have experienced in the past. Support is a huge help in this process both here on the board and or maybe through an A.W.A.K.E support group if one is near you.

You have a grand-daughter who you let sleep on you for 6 years, you want to have as long and productive and energetic life as God will give you, please use all the means at your disposal to see that happen.

Best wishes,
The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
NC, please get back to your positive pressure air therapy. There is really nothing anyone here can do for you unless you make the decision to get help. Sleeping on your stomach is probably better than on your back, but I'm sure you understand the risks of untreated sleep apnea. There are many ways to make the use of your bilevel machine more comfortable. At this point, you are just hurting your health, the sleep of those around you, and increasing your odds for serious cardiac or stroke issues.

The members of this forum are anxious to help you, but if you won't take the first step by using the therapy rather than a different sleep position, it's kind of a waste of time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 824 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 207 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 459 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.