Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Win 7 March 2016 updates to avoid
[Image: Bill_Gates.jpg]

Resistance is Futile.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just disabled WU on my 7 box. Except for SDR, I don't use it anymore. Will be putting a Mint install soon. Start using that for my non-windows dev work.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
So, I have a W7 64 bit box with 2 Samsung 1TB SSDs. W7 is installed on one drive.
I wonder if I could put a version of Linux on the second drive and have a dual boot system?

I wonder about drivers; especially for the ASUS Z87 MOBO chipset.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-14-2016, 10:43 AM)justMongo Wrote: So, I have a W7 64 bit box with 2 Samsung 1TB SSDs. W7 is installed on one drive.
I wonder if I could put a version of Linux on the second drive and have a dual boot system?

Linux is designed for dual booting. You will have a very easy install if you have two drives.

You can try out Linux by booting a live CD (outdated terminology but still used). Just burn the .iso image of the installer to optical media or a USB drive, and boot from it for a trial run before installing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend xubuntu (dot org) lightweight snappy desktop on ubuntu.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2016, 10:43 AM)justMongo Wrote: So, I have a W7 64 bit box with 2 Samsung 1TB SSDs. W7 is installed on one drive.

I wonder about drivers; especially for the ASUS Z87 MOBO chipset.

Hi Mongo,
Count me among the people who have just disabled WU - it's not worth the hassle to me.

For Linux, the drivers are normally compiled into the kernel. If you are using a current version of an actively-maintained distribution, it is unlikely you will have any issues with drivers. As others have suggested, try it with a "Live CD" or USB boot for the distribution and version you are considering - any driver issues should become apparent quickly.

Note that while the Linux community has developed a filesystem driver that will read and write NTFS filesystems (NTFS-3G), even reading Linux filesystems in Windows can be difficult. If you have a format-neutral device like a NAS on your network, it may be simpler to exchange data by placing it there. Or you might consider creating a partition formatted as FAT32 - Windows and Linux can both operate in such a partition.

Good luck with the Linux project.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December 2016 security monthly quality rollup for Windows 7 justMongo 8 511 12-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Last Post: JonC
  [Health] Flu vaccine for 2016-2017 available justMongo 7 493 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
Question Tax estimating software for year 2016 ?? justMongo 9 484 08-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Last Post: icyura10
Question I Can't get W7 to do the June updates justMongo 14 932 06-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: surferdude2
Question 2016 Census -- WTH ? justMongo 6 633 03-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Last Post: sptrout
  Any Win7 updates to avoid for Nov 2015 justMongo 11 1,154 11-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Question W7 updates KB2999226 and KB3083710 justMongo 1 1,419 10-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Last Post: AlanE