Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Win 7 indexing usb drives
Isn't there a registry hack to stop win 7 from indexing external usb drives?

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
When you're running a small business, your hardware must be running as efficiently as possible. Turning off indexing for USB drives makes sense if you want to slow down a computer's search capabilities in return for faster performance overall. If you rarely need to search for files on your connected USB drives, it's a worthwhile trade-off. The indexing feature is controlled by a dedicated settings dialog box within Windows, enabling you to specify particular drives and folders to be included in or excluded from the master file index.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen or move the mouse to the top right corner and choose "Search." Enter "indexing options" into the input box, choose "Settings" to filter your search and tap or click the "Indexing Options" application to launch it.
2. Tap or click "Modify" and locate the USB drive you wish to remove from the Windows index. Untick the box by the side of the relevant drive letter. If you don't see your USB drive listed, select "Show all locations" and ensure the drive is firmly connected to the computer.
3. Select "OK" to confirm your choices and then "Close" to exit the Indexing Options dialog. Windows will remember your configuration for the relevant USB drive and will not index it unless you specifically enable the option again in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a registry mod file:

SysVolWrite.zip
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

(02-04-2017, 06:57 PM)eplantz Wrote: When you're running a small business, your hardware must be running as efficiently as possible. Turning off indexing for USB drives makes sense if you want to slow down a computer's search capabilities in return for faster performance overall. If you rarely need to search for files on your connected USB drives, it's a worthwhile trade-off. The indexing feature is controlled by a dedicated settings dialog box within Windows, enabling you to specify particular drives and folders to be included in or excluded from the master file index.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen or move the mouse to the top right corner and choose "Search." Enter "indexing options" into the input box, choose "Settings" to filter your search and tap or click the "Indexing Options" application to launch it.
2. Tap or click "Modify" and locate the USB drive you wish to remove from the Windows index. Untick the box by the side of the relevant drive letter. If you don't see your USB drive listed, select "Show all locations" and ensure the drive is firmly connected to the computer.
3. Select "OK" to confirm your choices and then "Close" to exit the Indexing Options dialog. Windows will remember your configuration for the relevant USB drive and will not index it unless you specifically enable the option again in the future.

Hi eplantz. I can't help but feel you've left out some steps in the process described above. Are you describing the procedure for Windows 7? Because I don't see anything that looks like what you described.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears eplantz is describing Windows 8 or higher with a touch screen.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually on can do the search from the search bar in the start menu. I found "Indexing Options". I also found that I have the indexing service turned off.

To drill down on the point. I have a 2TB, USB 3.0 external drive I use for backup. It's formatted NTFS. It has that System Volume Information hidden system file on it. It's taking up too much room; and the SYSTEM does not want to let go of that file when I tell it to eject the drive. The former 1TB drive I was using didn't behave that way.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 836 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 2,057 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas