Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Win10 icon in system tray
Angry 
I'm using Win 67 home premium 64 bit. Just today I've noticed a Windows 10 icon in the system tray. It offers all sorts of helpful stuff such as "get Windows 10", "reserve your free update" etc.

How do I get rid of this thing?
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got the same notice today too.

The process is GWX.exe located here (for me): C:\Windows\System32\GWX\GWX.exe

The tray is run from a scheduled task:
[Image: gwx.PNG]

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I got the same thing!

I'm not feeling so good today; so, I'm not thinking at 100%
( A cold I think)

I'd like to hide it for now; and put off any upgrade to 10 for now.

How would I have it not show up in the tray?

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

format c: will solve all your Windows problems.

..sorry couldn't resist.

Linux: it does a body good.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2015, 12:57 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: format c: will solve all your Windows problems.

..sorry couldn't resist.

Linux: it does a body good.

Careful Super Sleeper; there are some people who might actually follow that advice.

While were on the subject of W7 v. W10. How long do you think MSoft will support W7 with updates? (Question for everyone.)
They went about 12 years on XP. If I can get 5 more years out of W7, then there's no need for me to update to 10.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
GWX is running under processes. The way task scheduler is setup, it will restart at 8PM every day.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

I removed that odd Windows 10 Upgrade tool sometime ago... why upgrade to a new OS that will expire when my current OS will? Also they are pulling features that I kind of like: Media Center, the ability to play DVD's, games like Chess and Freecell... just to name a few.

Post Reply Post Reply
They're doing a free upgrade to W10 much like they did when going from W8 to W8.1. It doesn't expire. You will have to create recovery disks once it's installed however. Otherwise after one year you would not be able to reinstall 7, or 8 and do the free upgrade.

It appears substantially different than the existing Windows. Even got a new browser.

Me? I'm still going to hold out for W9.

Post Reply Post Reply
Found this online at windowscentral: (the italics are mine)

Quote:1- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates.
(win7 Control Panel > Programs > click "View installed updates" under Programs and Features)

2- Do a search for KB3035583, double-click it, and then click Yes, to uninstall the update.

3- Reboot your computer, and you'll be good to go

Now, if you change your mind, you can always download and install the update KB3035583, and reserve your copy of Windows 10.

But of course if you have Windoze set to autoupdate, it will most likely just put it right back on. I followed the steps but didn't install just yet. I like the offer, just not the freakin' nag. And who in their right mind gets a M$ OS right at first release??

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

I heard that Win 10 won't be out until the end of July and I don't want it anymore than I wanted Win 8 or 8.1
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Which country has the best health care system? DeepBreathing 16 1,296 06-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: personal111
  Win10 PC won't shut off PaulaO2 4 411 07-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  [News] Greek healthcare system collapses, hospital workers now working without pay SuperSleeper 25 6,489 12-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  UPS for computer system justMongo 4 1,089 11-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Last Post: surferdude2
  I hate the health care system JJJ 13 4,061 07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Last Post: archangle